No Embedded Peripheral Drivers ! WHY ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
While setting up a buddy's HP (no model #) desktop today with XP, we ran into this odd problem.

We are having a very difficult time getting the on-board (embedded) peripherals (Ethernet, Audio and Video) to work!!

Almost always after loading up XP (fresh install), one is able to access the Internet by plugging in an active Ethernet cable (cable modem in this case).

But come to find out there was NO internet connection.

Further investigation revealed that there where NO drivers setup for the embedded (on-board) Ethernet, Video or the Audio peripherals.

This desktop recently came out of corporate environment and had a sticker over the name of the motherboard. So we are unable to determine the make/model of it.

I was however able to ID the Chipset. It's an Intel i848pG.

We found what we "thought" were the correct drivers from Welcome to Intel , but NONE of them will install correctly!! I'm baffled at this point!!

Q #1: What would keep XP from downloading these drivers for the embedded peripherals ?

Q #2: What are we having such a difficult time getting ANY of these drivers to WORK ???

TIA!

go to msi and run the auto update feature and see if it recognizes the board. hp use a lot of msi boards with intel an ati chipset and they are a pain to configure. you need the chipset before you can't get most of the other thing to work. looking for a driver at intel is a pain.

use everest to name drivers if this don't work

My Dell had this problem. The Ethernet is onboard and there is only the driver from Dell available. So i had to download it previously and save it to my External for use when i reload XP.

So best bet do what Eric said. Try to get the info. If anything you can try to go to HP's site and see if you can recognize the Model and see if you can find the drivers for it as well.

CPUz is a nice easy one. As Eric said Everest also does it.

Ok, got it ID'd and got all drivers found/loaded except the On-Board Ethernet (Need help finding it).

I used Belarc Advisor, SiSoft Sandra and also PC Pitstop: Free PC Diagnostics, computer help and Tuneups to help in my search. I also used HP's website that helps ID the configuration (cool tool!).

Here's what it is......

Hewlett-Packard HP d530 CMT(dj660a)
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Hewlett-Packard 085Ch
Serial Number: USV33504L9
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 786B2 v1.11 07/10/2003

I need to find the driver for the On-Board Ethernet port. HPs site has about (10) different one's listed. I tried (3) and NONE of them worked.

How do I ID the part # for the On-Board Ethernet port ????

Ok, got it ID'd and got all drivers found/loaded except the On-Board Ethernet (Need help finding it).

I used Belarc Advisor, SiSoft Sandra and also PC Pitstop: Free PC Diagnostics, computer help and Tuneups to help in my search. I also used HP's website that helps ID the configuration (cool tool!).

Here's what it is......

Hewlett-Packard HP d530 CMT(dj660a)
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Hewlett-Packard 085Ch
Serial Number: USV33504L9
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 786B2 v1.11 07/10/2003

I need to find the driver for the On-Board Ethernet port. HPs site has about (10) different one's listed. I tried (3) and NONE of them worked.

How do I ID the part # for the On-Board Ethernet port ????

everest was mentioned a few times.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom