PCI Graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
Alright so originally I intended to replace my motherboard. Apparently though my stuff is SO old (**** you dell) that its basically incompatible with anything of use.

So in the end I'm going to save up a little more and just build a new computer. Until then I'd like something for my PCI slot. I don't want to spend TOO much so like $75ish.

I was looking at this card, is it any good?

Newegg.com - CHAINTECH P-FX20 GeForce FX 5200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card - Retail

Reviews are certainly positive.

Its basically to hold me over for about 6 months. Although if it works well enough and I don't have the money to spend I may use it for another year or two.

Depends on your budget. For a little more you can get more card.

The 6200 is a definite step up from the FX5200:
Newegg.com - JATON VIDEO-338PCI-DVI GeForce 6200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Low Profile Video Card - Retail

And you can also look into a X1550 or a X1300:
Newegg.com - DIAMOND X1550PRO256PSB Radeon X1550 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - VisionTek VTKX1300256PCI Radeon X1300 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Video Card - Retail

the most expensive of these is still only $99.99.

Ya I am kinda in the same boat. I have a laptop that plays my games ok, and a desktop that is suffering. Its an old hp Pavilion and is pretty much at the max right now. thats when I found this:
Newegg.com - VisionTek VTKX1300256PCI Radeon X1300 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Video Card - Retail
I think that this card is a great value, even though it is $100.
I am normally an nVidia fan but his is the best NewEgg offers for PCI.
If you could afford the extra $25 I think that this card would make you pretty happy.

im pretty sure i got your

Newegg.com - CHAINTECH P-FX20 GeForce FX 5200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card - Retail

but at 512 mb for my old comp for around 40 dollars, and that was.... hmm... 6 months ago when i bought it i guess.

you can definatly find one to hold you over for in the 75ish area.

btw your gonna be extremly happy when your done with Dell :)

Ok so I know the higher ones are better but what is the real difference between 5200,5500,6200 and x1300,x1550. Is it the speed or the technology or both?

If its just a small bit of faster speeds then its not a big deal but if its a difference in technology like something for shading or something like that then its more important.

Originally I wanted to spend like $50 but after seeing the options I upped it to $75 but I'm not sure I could afford $100. Plus its just temporary.

The reviews I've seen mostly say that the 5200 one I showed is really good and that there isn't a huge difference between 5200,5500 and 6200. Then again some say "can't play battlefield 2" then I go to reviews for a worse one and it says "plays battlefield 2 on high". I'm thinking that some people don't bother to check if its their processor or ram thats slowing their game down.

Also I assume the difference between GDDR2 and DDR is speed right? Do I need anything special to use GDDR2? I would think its the same slot type.

Sorry for the newb questions and I have an idea of what the answers will probably be but I'm not taking any $75 chances.

Biggest difference between the 5200 and the 6200. Completely different generation of processor. Same between the 1550 and 1300.

If $75 is your limit, it is your limit. You may want to browse some of the posts in Buy/Sell/Trade, or search it to see if anyone has a decent one for sale.

Now I remember I looked at it on there too. I wonder why I didn't consider it.

It seems perfect I suppose. I think its safe to assume it has an 128bit interface right?

So should I buy it? I may be willing to go up to $100 but only if its drastically better.

Also can anyone estimate what the most advanced game this card can handle is? One for low settings, mid settings and high settings would really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom