Back to the drawing board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Well, I found out that this years christmas present will be computer parts, so that I can once again have a gaming PC (that works, lol). I will likely splurging on a nice Mobo, and low-balling on a CPU (Will probably upgrade to Penryn after release anyways....)... So, yeah.... Just need to look for Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Budget is $500-750, preferrably closer to $500 end of the spectrum. (OK, so I went about 150% over budget.... lol)

Now I just have to do some research and see what chipset to go with, and deciede on DDR2 or DDR3.

Componenet specific's
  • Motherboard with X38 chipset, and with DDR2 memory (POSSIBLY a P35, still thinking)
  • DDR2 800 Memory
  • Core2Duo processor
  • modular PSU

The list thus far.... (temp list, for me to keep track of what I am currently thinking of....)

Stay DDR2 for now. DDR3 is still too expensive and not worth the increase in performance (as there barely is any).

I would get a DFI P35-T2R or perhaps their new X38 lanparty board and something cheap like a 2nd hand e2160 to tide you over until you can afford a Penryn.

Yeah.... I was thinking about the E2160 as well...... My out of commission gaming rig hosted an AMD 3500+ Venice (single) core, and it was enough to get the job done. Just would like to at least match it's performance on the low end. For graphics, I have an x1950xt that will be getting the job done. I also already have a nice SATA DVD Burner, and KVM are already covered. I will use my old Chieftec case that my media rig is housed in, but it won't mid, since it isn't working.

hope for an M0 stepping e2160.. so you can get a heavy overclock... and its Yorkfield... not Penryn.. (yes I'm a knit-picker..)

board- Abit IP35-e if you don't want RAID.. Abit IP35 if you do...
Cooler- Tuniq Tower 120 or TR-120 Ultra Extreme
Memory -Crucial Ballistix 2gb Kit
PSU- Corsair 520hx

if you can get this:

Newegg.com - Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

cuz its worth the guaranteed M0 stepping if your overclocking for $7 more dollars

EDIT: i know you didn't ask for a CPU cooler.. but I included one in the list because when you get a Quad-Core, those coolers will keep it nice an Frosty even if its 45nm :)

Well, at this point, I am REALLY leaning towards a motherboard running an X38 chipset, with DDR3, and PCI Express 2.0.... This is going to be most of the budget, but I am ok with that... I would rather get a nice motherboard now that I can drop a Penryn into, than get a rounded system now, and have to look to upgrade again in the short-term......

It would be so much easier to do this if customer's would stop calling me and interrupting my research.... lol.

actually the p35 is pretty much the same thing as the x38, except the x38 is wayy more expensive and has PCIe 2.0 support.... also the P35's also support Yorkfields too...

Oye..... after much debate, I have decieded that DDR3 at this point in beyond reach. Given this, I might consider a P35 chipset as well..... Anyone have any insite between these 3 sets of memory?

They are all DDR2 800, 4-4-4-12 timing, and 2x Gig sets. The only differences I saw in the comparison (aside from appearance) is the voltages....
I should note this will be a Windows XP 64 bit system.

Putting on pause right now.... need to look at some benchmarks for RAM, to see a good balance between the speed, and the latency. A friend suggested DDR2 1066 memory.

Ok, added a bit more up top..... thinking DDR2 1066 is going to be the memory to go with. Wanting a Core2Duo CPU, modular PSU, and motherboard with X38 chipset (POSSIBLY P35).... Just keep changing my mind... THIS SUCKS, lol.

I will probably order it on Black Friday, since Newegg usually has REALLY good deals that morning, and I will just see what I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom