Deleting a drive (e.g drive (C:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-Ever-Euphemistic

Solid State Member

Hello All,pray your all well.

Sincere appology if a question likewise has already been raise,but im unlikely to go through the entire posts made on board.

Right,little history about my Harddrive for a better understanding.

I have two PC's in the house (laptop & Desktop),and i want to use bring my old PC aswel,but because of its slowness,i seriously cant be asked.

Anyhoo. About my Desktop (the big fat PC :p ) i have two softwares installed,
anyone who knows how to work with partions should get the plot.

On drive (C: ) Win 2000 and drive (D: ) XP. Now XP runs immensly slow.Yet 2000 runs just fine,without even a anti virus program (thats not the problem though).

I however would like to get rid of 2000 as a whole and re install (replace) XP with XPon drive (D: ) again.

So solemly i want to have one software on it.

Question is how do you delete a entire drive?

Has it got something to do with the Bio set up page (You know the black page that comes up from which you can choose what software you wana run,happends usally once the computer has caught a Virus in the pass)

Also how do you get rid of that bio set up page back to how it was after purchasing the computer.

A whole loadza questions,but i will greatly appreciate it if any of you comp experts can slove the problem,im not so bad at technology myself,however i have no clue how to approach this.

Look forward for a reply ASAP :)

You put in your XP disk, restart, boot from CD, delete the partition that has Win2K on it, then you can either create a new partition or delete/format the other one and install XP.
To get rid of the page where you select an OS, you either delete the other partition and that shoudl take care of it, or edit your boot.ini file and remove the offending entry. Then it will boot automatically to the other OS.

You put in your XP disk, restart, boot from CD, delete the partition that has Win2K on it, then you can either create a new partition or delete/format the other one and install XP.
To get rid of the page where you select an OS, you either delete the other partition and that shoudl take care of it, or edit your boot.ini file and remove the offending entry. Then it will boot automatically to the other OS.

1)Right,so upon placing the XP disc and when its gona ask me which drive i would like to install XP in,will that page provide me deleting options for other drives aswel?

I have done it a while ago,thus i cant remeber what exactly the contents of the BIOS page was.

2)How do you select an OS?What partition are you referring to with the term 'other' ?

Please clarify.

Correct. It will ask you where you want to do the install and provide a list of current partitions. Just delete the one you don't want. When I said the otehr partition, I mean the one you have XP on and want to either keep or reinstall. If you just want one partition with one OS, delete them both, format, install XP.

The boot.ini file will have entries for each OS you have installed thus giving you options for boot. These can be removed and you won't have that screen anymore, it will simply boot to the remaining entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom