Overclocking the q6600 on the ds3R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
so yeah now that Crysis is coming soon I thought it was about time to finally overclock. After doing a lot of reading I thought I had everything set but then I ran into this helpful guide:

Gigabyte P965-XXX overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide - [H]ard|Forum

strangely enough this guy recommends a 7x multipler and 400 fsb ( for the most common ddr2 pc6400 800mhz ram ) instead of the 9x multiplier and 300ish fsb that I was opting for. I'm guessing the main reason hes doing this is to maintain a 1:1 ratio? Really we have to compose a large thread with success/failure stories of overclocking the q6600/ds3r

1.325v cpu
400mhz FSB
9x multi
set the memory to 2.0 multi
set the memory voltage to +.02
FSB voltage to +.01V

boot and check temps, adjust the voltage as needed.

so yeah now that Crysis is coming soon I thought it was about time to finally overclock. After doing a lot of reading I thought I had everything set but then I ran into this helpful guide:

Gigabyte P965-XXX overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide - [H]ard|Forum

strangely enough this guy recommends a 7x multipler and 400 fsb ( for the most common ddr2 pc6400 800mhz ram ) instead of the 9x multiplier and 300ish fsb that I was opting for. I'm guessing the main reason hes doing this is to maintain a 1:1 ratio? Really we have to compose a large thread with success/failure stories of overclocking the q6600/ds3r

that only works on the p965 chipset.. Veedub's recommendation is better.. and with that the RAM overclocks with the FSB....

that only works on the p965 chipset.. Veedub's recommendation is better.. and with that the RAM overclocks with the FSB....

why does it only work on the 965 chipset? He said its basically the same as the p35 and I have all the options he has

1.325v cpu
400mhz FSB
9x multi
set the memory to 2.0 multi
set the memory voltage to +.02
FSB voltage to +.01V

boot and check temps, adjust the voltage as needed.

can you give me a milder OC recommendations? like to 3.0, I dont wanna up the voltages with my 4 month old processor just yet

Heh, i overclocked my 1 day old q6600 to that. If you want, you can just leave the cpu voltage at 1.2V and set it to 9x 333 which is 3ghz. I was able to get up to 3.15ghz on stock voltage.

Heh, i overclocked my 1 day old q6600 to that. If you want, you can just leave the cpu voltage at 1.2V and set it to 9x 333 which is 3ghz. I was able to get up to 3.15ghz on stock voltage.

well Im a little more cautious ( if my q6600 somehow dies out on me thats no comp for 3 years :( anyways I was thinking about the 9x333, do I have to change the multiplier or anything? that guys articles rambles on a lot about the ram, mines still at factory 4-4-4-12 and 2.1 volts

Noone is going to be able to give you precise settings to do what you want. Don't get me wrong - they'll get you darn close but all chips are not equal. At the end of the day you'll just need to take your time and tune settings one after another, stress test, tweak, stress test, etc.

I would start my voltages low and work your way up until you can post, stress test. Then it might fail 8 minutes in, bump it up. it might fail 1 hour in, bump it up, no fail for 12 hours and you're probably good. Then you can start playing with your RAM.

You should def be able to do better than 3ghz. You won't fry it just watch your temps that's all. Those chips are tougher than you're giving them credit for.

running 333fsb and 9x multi, i would say set the memory to 2.5, 1.25V should easily run 3ghz maybe more.

Also, in case you are wondering, i was running my quad on a ds3r until 2 weeks ago when i rebuilt for SLI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom