Turn MCE into WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

enorox

Solid State Member
Hello, I currently have a Windows Media Center edition computer. I use it mostly for gaming. I recently bought a Razer Copperhead mouse but after I bought it, I found out it is not supported by my computer. I've used it on my previous WinXP computer and I really want to use it on this. I have the WinXP Pro disks, is it possible to reformat and install with them to make the computer WinXP Pro? Thanks.

You'd have to have an XP Pro CD key to activate the Pro copy, because your MCE key won't work with the Pro version.

Did you try to install it? MCE is in reality XP pro with extras so it should work.

If you had a valid Pro key, then yes (if you were to format the drive/install the Pro OS, that is. Unless you planned to dual-boot). Also, how does the mouse not work with your Razer Copperhead? Are there updated drivers on Razer's website?

This is off their site under where it says it's not supported

I use the Copperhead with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition. So far I have had no problems, except for a USB related issue, because I have too many devices connected (so the Copperhead loses power).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: Jake Loxton-Dally (jold@hotmail.co.uk) On: 30 Dec 2006 02:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am running Media Center 2005, this mouse works fine for me.

Posted By: Tidusben (tidusben89) On: 02 Mar 2007 05:07 AM
At my windows XP (MEdia center edition 2005 ) my razer work perfect !

Well, ever since I used this computer with the mouse, I would have to unplug it from my USB drive to let the computer boot up and then plug it in when I'm on my windows desktop for it to work. If I just left it in while on boot, it would freeze the computer before hitting the desktop. Also, my profiles on my mouse would get reset. I contacted Razer by email and phone and they gave me the same answer. It is not supported in Windows Media Center Edition. They must have something against MCE because I emailed them asking if the new keyboard is supported about it and they said it's not.

** I have MCE 2002.

I just find it strange that it wouldn't work, it's essentially the same OS.

I also found this, maybe worth a shot.

Some boards had problems with Razer mice (and habu) when certain bios revisions were used. They would simply freeze at boot untill you removed the mouse and then continiue booting. I had this problem for my Asus mobo and they released a fixed bios update for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom