Computer doesn't start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
So last night I fell asleep watching TV with my computer on and my brother came into my room and turned it off by just pressing the button on the front.

So I wake up this morning, turned on my comp then after two seconds it turned back off. I press the button again and nothing happens till about a minute later I turn it on again and the fans are running and everything sounds normal but the two lights on the front don't show up, nothing shows up on my computer or my mouse or my keyboard.

After this, it's been nothing but a pattern. I turn the power switch on the back off, press the button and nothing happens, wait a while, turn on the comp then it turns on for about a second then turns back off. A little bit later, it turns on but nothing shows up on my monitor and the two lights on the front don't show up.

Right now I'm clueless as to what to do as I've been working on it for about the past 4 hours now. ANY type of help would be great. Thanks in advance.

If the lights on the front don't come on, it could be an indication of a motherboard failure. My HP's motherboard died and the same thing happened. The fans would spin up but the power LED wouldn't come on. It could also be a motherboard short, because when setting up my rebuilt Compaq, the fans would spin up for a second then it would die. The problem there was that two extra posts from the case were shorting the board and it's internal protection system was kicking. It could also be a bad PSU, if you have another, try it. Try reseating RAM, CPU, and PCI/AGP/PCIe cards as well, as they can cause a computer not to post if improperly connected.

Try disconnecting all power cords from the motherboard and reconnecting them. Try lifting your motherboard out of the case and try powering it up while holding it off the case. If it works, then something on the case is shorting out. However, this probably isn't the case for you, because you didn't modify your computer when it happened. You can try setting the Clear CMOS jumper if you can find it, that will erase the BIOS settings and restore defaults to fix any BIOS settings issues. Also try reseating CPU, RAM, and any PCI/AGP/PCIe cards if all else fails.

reseating the ram would explain if there was no video, but not the shutdown, if the ram had a charge stuck the computer should stay on, its either your PSU is damaged or your motherboard has a short which would explain the powering on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom