CPU multiplier issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
Hi

My new e6750 is supposed to run at 2.66ghz with a multiplier of 8, but instead its running at 2.4ghz with a multiplier of 6.

Anytime I try to change the multiplier in the BIOS, or voltage, the clock won't increase, as the multiplier remains 8 despite my efforts to change it. Oddly enough, it will once in a while flicker inbetween 3.2ghz and 2.4ghz, witht he multiplier changing too. what gives?

Help?!

Well the CPU is fully functional I think, I'm guessing it's some sort of thermal throttling type of feature in the OS or BIOS, but I have no idea how to identify which one, or if that's even the issue.

Further more, as I said, every once and a while, the multiplier, in CPU-Z, flickers up to x8 and shows the correct clock, then down again. I've noticed very similar behavior in my C2D laptop, except during heavy load, it kicks into it's complete 2ghz. I just don't know how to remove this issue on my desktop, and it's annoying me.

BTW, for the clocks and voltages, I'm going by CPU-Z. I'm using the P35 PRO, and haven't changed any BIOS or updated them. If I had to, where would I and how would I do this?

Thanks

EDIT: This CPU does the exact same thing, when a games running, it kicks itself into 3.2ghz (the desired speed). How do I change the settings so that it's ALWAYS on this speed, so that it's not underclocked unless I manually change it?

Im no use here,but since im in the process of equiping myself with comp,tech skills,whats a CPU?

And how do you edit BIOS?

Also has BIOS page got what software you want to run? XP,Vista etc.

Or does it only have that one flicking line - at the top?

its Speedstep... its a power saving option.. if u use a CPU intensive program... it'll go back up to 2.66ghz

ahh i figured it out, i chose the highest performance profile in energy in control panel.

running at 3.2ghz and smooth -_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom