how do i protect my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

erocdelux

Beta member
I am a new member and I hope someone can help me. I want to protect my computer from someone stealing my personal information by inserting a jumpdrive or any other storage device in my usb ports. Is there a program that I could get or is it in my windows allready that would help me do that? and is there a way I can get alerted by email or something else that would let me now if someone was trying to insert a jumpdrive in my usb ports.
thanks
eroc

First, why would anyone with a USB drive be using your computer? Is it a public machine, an office machine, or a laptop that you often leave running where other people are? If it's your ordinary home office, USB drive file stealers probably aren't your biggest issue. PC's in public areas it may be a bigger issue.

There are programs that allow you to lock down your PC to prevent people from using USB drives. A quick google search turns up this:

prevent usb drives - Google Search

Here's a Microsoft article describing how to lock down your external drives and ports:

HOWTO: Use Group Policy to disable USB, CD-ROM, Floppy Disk and LS-120 drivers

Here's an article on Digg on the subject

Digg - Simple hack to disable USB drives in XP - Perfect for public machines

Here's a registry hack that should do the trick

Registry Hack to Disable Writing to USB Drives :: the How-To Geek

There's probably a million more articles, but try out some of those. It looks like you'll need to edit the Registry. To open Registry Editor, go to Start -> Run and type "regedit" and hit OK. You can now edit the Registry, but be careful in there! A bad edit in the Registry can cause your computer to malfunction or not boot.

thank you calcprogrammer1, i will try those links and it is actually for my computer at work/home. I keep it at work but i can bring it home to work on stuff. but sometimes i go to a coffeeshop and work on stuff.
eroc

I read about some software that you could install that did the same thing. I read it in PC Magazine some time ago. These programs may not be as effective as a Registry hack (which controls the OS itself), but they may be easier to install and more flexible for you (allow YOU to use a USB drive upon entering a password or maybe only allowing known drives to function), but I forget the names of them. I'm sure Google can help you there, just note that they probably won't come free.

the first link is a company that will probaly charge but i am sure it is worth it for a big company. the other links helped me out. i will try them when i get to work tomorrow.
thanks
eroc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom