1100 to drop on a laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recomend this Asus laptop.

Newegg.com - ASUS F3 Series F3SV-X2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7100(1.80GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 667 160GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS - Retail

Asus makes some of the best laptops. This has a Geforce 8600M gt 256mb which is one of the best graphics cards avalible for laptops. The laptop also comes with a carrying bag and mouse.

It looks like it has an 8600M GS, which isn't quite as nice as a GT, but still a decent card. I agree with you that Asus makes great notebooks. Seems like a nice system and at a reasonable price.

Another option is the Vostro line from Dell (yeah I know, Dell, yuck), but they are a great value if nothing else. I priced out a 15.4" Vostro with a C2D and 8600M GT graphics for $800. The two downsides to Vostros:

1) Some ship with grainy screens, and there's really no way to know if you have one of the bad screens until you open the box and turn it on.
2) Style is put aside since Vostro's are small-business models. Like Henry Ford said, "you can have any color you want, as long as it's black".

But you really can't find an 8600M GT in any other notebook for that price. So if you are a gamer, it's definitely worth considering.

You could also look into the HP Pavilion DV6500T. The style is great and it's actually one of the nicer looking notebooks that has a really durable finish. Like the Asus, you can only get GS flavor graphics. Here's a review from NBR:

HP Pavilion dv6500t Review

I have an older AMD based DV6000Z (the DV6500T is Santa Rosa Intel based and offers fingerprint reader and a new finish), and I love it. Perfect size for at home use and occasional mobility, and it looks great (but it attracts fingerprints). One possible complaint, since you said you will be Photoshopping on this, is the screens vertical viewing angle is... well... typical for a consumer notebook. Even when you have it adjusted perfectly for your height, there is a noticeable gradient difference looking at the top and bottom of the screen when it comes to contrast, so you might want to look for a more professional screen (Lenovo ThinkPads offer nice viewing angles on their upgraded screens) if you plan to do any pro Photoshopping. You will, however, notice this problem on nearly all consumer notebooks- it's not just common to Pavilions. It's not terribly bad, but if you are picky, you will notice it, and it might get a little annoying.

No matter which notebook you choose, if it's a configurable to order model (CTO), make sure you opt for the minimum amount of RAM and upgrade later. They charge as much as $250 for 2GB, which is absolutely ridiculous, considering you can buy some at NewEgg for much cheaper than what they charge, and it's very easy to install.

Good luck on your purchase!

i dunno what you were saying about toshiba's, whoever said they have bad build quality, i have a satellite, one of the lower ends, but i love it. it runs everything perfectly, except for most games. I only payed 550 for it, and it was probably one of the better things i've spent 550 on. but my parents payed for it, but it is still a really fantastic laptop. It just needs more memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom