Core 2 Duo/Quad Temperature Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh my g0 has hit 82C while running 3dmark06. Must...lap...true.

edit, this was at 3.8ghz and 1.475V though.

I know for a fact it has to be my heatsink because i turned it 90 degrees this time when i changed motherboard and i get the exact same tem variances between cores. The "outside" cores run around 10C hotter than the "inside" cores, so the only thing i can determine is that the middle of the heatsink makes better contact than the outer edge. I'm guessing i actually have a flat heatspreader on the cpu, but a convex heatsink.

I know for a fact it has to be my heatsink because i turned it 90 degrees this time when i changed motherboard and i get the exact same tem variances between cores. The "outside" cores run around 10C hotter than the "inside" cores, so the only thing i can determine is that the middle of the heatsink makes better contact than the outer edge. I'm guessing i actually have a flat heatspreader on the cpu, but a convex heatsink.
So do you have it horizontal or vertical? I found I get better cooling when it is vertical.

It was vertical before, right now its horrizontal. The way my case is setup it lets my 120mm fan attached to the heatsink blow the air directly into the top 200mm fan. In theory, with the antec 900 it should cool better being horizontal. But im getting pretty much identical temps as i did before i remounted it.

Isn't a Quad like this :

[Core 1][Core 2]
[Core 3][Core 4]

?

Actually i always thought it was [core0][core1]|[core2][core3]. This setup leads me more to believe thats why i have such a higher temp on the outside cores.

doesnt matter

people run 1.7v through them with LN2

as long as you keep a good temp/voltage you shouldnt have any problems.

Yeah, I have a Tuniq tower on my Q and I am OC'ed to 3.60 with 1.3972 volts.

I KNOW I could go higher, but the heat output is already pretty high at 1.4v (~70 full load).

I'm thinking of going water, but don't want to spend 300-500$ to get 200mhz.

I put together a WC rig on DangerDen (wish list) for about $250 shipped. According to that doc you get 100 MHz per 5 hundredths of voltage resulting in 3-4c increase in temperature. WC setups typically cool 10-15c cooler. So you can theoretically get 300-500 MHz more out of it. Still pretty steep for the increase it will give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom