3DMark06: Q6600 VS Agena 9600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Initially I wrote up some comments, but I've decided to make my post completely neutral and allow you, the readers, to decide what's going on here.

(Really sorry about the small images and poor compression)

Intel Q6600

3dmark06us6.jpg

AMD Agena 9600

phenomx44qy5.png

Take note that these are stock speeds. So, be aware that the Q6600 is running at 2.4GHz and the Agena at 2.3GHz.

Q6600 vs Agena 9600 Benchmarks

Ok now lets crank them both up to 3.6ghz on air... Or can the agena do that :p BTW the memory timings on the ram are horrible.

I doubt anyone who purchases either CPU and then runs 3Dmark06 will NOT overclock them. So stock means nothing.. Lets see both CPU's at max stable OC on Air, same thermal paste, Same CPU cooler, same room, then run the test again. Thats what I, and certainly others would be more interested in.

Considering that the Q6600 can overclock to almost 4.0GHz (which I doubt the 9600 can do) it seems to me we have a good idea who the winner is here. However, more tests are necessary I guess. I'm still going to be waiting till' the 8800GTS G92 Revision, so by then, we'll know who the clear-cut winner is for sure.

Ok now lets crank them both up to 3.6ghz on air... Or can the agena do that :p BTW the memory timings on the ram are horrible.

If you go to the link, the guy explains the timings:

(he's Chinese I believe, so his English is a little broken)

We set all the memory to "By SPD"(by SPD= 5-5-5-18). But when we are using the Phenom X4 platform, CPU-z wrongly detected the timing as 5-5-7-18. Please wait for the CPU-Z's further update.

Why CPU-Z shows Phenom X4 only have single channel?

That's because PhenomX4 have two memory controller, one controller controls one memory module. In this way when system performing multiple task, the performance may boost little higher.

Heh 5-5-5-18 is horrible memory timings :p Set that crap to 4-4-4-12 or buy some better ram. Well 5-5-5-18 is horrible at stock 800mhz, if overclocked i can understand looser timings, but their memory isnt overclocked.

i think they did that on purpose.. to cause a bottleneck.. and show the CPU off more..

Considering that the Q6600 can overclock to almost 4.0GHz (which I doubt the 9600 can do) it seems to me we have a good idea who the winner is here. However, more tests are necessary I guess. I'm still going to be waiting till' the 8800GTS G92 Revision, so by then, we'll know who the clear-cut winner is for sure.

I don't enjoy to speculate. We shall see when real tests are done..
One must remember, that for a test to be fair. As many parts as possible need to be exactly the same, they need to be tested in the same room, thermal paste and heatsink need to be identical OS and ram timming must also be identical.

Very close, especially with those crap timings on the phenom. It will be really interesting to see how the Phenom overclocks with that really low voltage it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom