Looks like the HD 3870 is a dud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grievearz

M.C. Etcher
Legion Hardware

Lots of game reviews. The GT absolutely kills it overall which makes me sad. I really wanted a decent performing ATI card.

Well there you have it, another disappointing release from AMD/ATI. Although they have managed to undercut Nvidia by reducing the cost of the Radeon HD 3870 by around 12% when compared to the GeForce 8800 GT, we found that on average it was 22% slower. So then in terms of value the GeForce 8800 GT looks to preserve its position as the best value high-end graphics card ever released. The GeForce 8800 GT has proven to be a strong performer, as has the entire GeForce 8800 series ever since it was first introduced over a year ago now.

Sad :( I was hoping the card would have been atleast on par with the 8800 GT... guess ill be going with nvidia, I was really hoping to go with ATI this time...but Nvidia is just flat out better...

Is anyone suprised? I know i'm not. Just makes me feel better about getting my GT pair for 470 :p

dang.. AMD is starting to lose it... come on guys.. keep your heads in there!! how am i supposed to fold on an nVidia card now..

the site isn't working... wtf..

And now for the essential post:

Fail.jpg

Well unless 8800GTs come back in stock at decent prices, looks like I'm going to hold on to my 2900PRO until the 8800GTx2 comes out sometime next year (Or for the 9x00 series)

Edit for more info - Take a look at http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/AMD_Radeon_HD3850_and_HD3870_-_AMD's_salvation?/5392-14.html

It's more of the same information but take a look at the image quality page, the HD3870 looks a lot better than the 8800GT with the rocks and water, the textures look more real and "softer."

I've always liked ATI's image quality over Nvidia but their card performance always leaves something to be desired...

Well unless 8800GTs come back in stock at decent prices, looks like I'm going to hold on to my 2900PRO until the 8800GTx2 comes out sometime next year (Or for the 9x00 series)

Edit for more info - Take a look at VR-Zone : Technology Beats - AMD Radeon HD3850 and HD3870 - AMD's salvation?

It's more of the same information but take a look at the image quality page, the HD3870 looks a lot better than the 8800GT with the rocks and water, the textures look more real and "softer."

I've always liked ATI's image quality over Nvidia but their card performance always leaves something to be desired...

Good point, the image quality is slightly better on the 3870 than it is on the 8800GT. Interesting.

I really like it, at the time it was a fantastic purchase (I've flashed the Bios to XT) but it uses up too much power for my tastes. The only game it has problems with is Crysis. Runs everything else I play perfectly and with great texture quality.

I was really hoping that the 3870 would be a great performer so that I could justify upgrading to use less power, but with these results it's just not worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom