processor upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

spite

Beta member
hello, got a question. i have this old pc that i've been working on upgrading, i got new memory for it, and upgraded to win xp. right now it currently has an "AMD k-6 3D Processor" 167 Mhz, would upgrading the processor to an "AMD Athlon" 1Ghz be too much of an upgrade for the pc/motherboard to handle?

You would probably need a new motherboard, the max You could upgrade that to would probably be 400mhz or something.

a 167 mhz to a 1ghz jump requires the mobo to have a system bus at least, the very least of a 133 front side bus. otherwise you could clock the system bus down to 66mhz, but the performance gain would very slim.

If the AMD 167mhz is stock, I would have to venture to guess that the fsb is only 33mhz and can't be clocked any higher than 50 mhz. (depending on the BIOS).

Even if it can be over clocked you would need to buy a new power supply to support the wattage needed for the new bus and CPU speed.

thx alot for the help, i think i have a spare motherboard, it might be able to handle the 1Ghz

if no one wants that mobo I will take it:D

i have an old machine that is at max speed of an AMD K-6 at a mindblowing.... 400mhz:angry:

I could def go for an upgrade up to 1 ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom