Linux, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*hijack*

Sorry about this, but is there anything out there that can help you get into linux?

Just install it and jump in. You will learn out of necessity. Get your help from the community (distro specific discussion boards, personal how-to's, wikis, etc...). Eventually you will get the hang of it all.

To the OP, if you go with Ubuntu, you will probably be forced to boot with "noapic" otherwise it will freeze half-way through the live-cd boot. This is probably true of most other distros. However, I'm running my DV6000Z with Vista Premium and Ubuntu Gutsy. Only problem that I haven't been able to solve is getting USB to work without sacrificing stability.

If you have an Intel based Pavilion, chances are it should work well out-of-the-box. If you have an AMD, you will need to setup your Broadcom wireless with ndiswrapper.

I have used Ubuntu on both AMD and Intel based computers, and never experienced any of those issues. USB works fine on all of my computers as well as my friend's new HP Compaq AMD Sempron laptop. I have a Broadcom external card and it works with the Linux BCM drivers and a firmware file, it is easy to setup using the restricted manager.

Well I installed it and so far I like it. The only problem I'm having is that I have no sound so i need to search for my audio driver. Other than that I'm enjoying it.

Well I installed it and so far I like it. The only problem I'm having is that I have no sound so i need to search for my audio driver. Other than that I'm enjoying it.

Which distro are you using? I used Ubuntu and it worked as soon as i plugged in the earphones, without bothering with drivers.

I'm using ubuntu gutsy. I didnt get a chance yet to mess with it, i just noticed it when i tryed to listen to music. I'll have to check it out tomorrow and see whats up.

I messed with the sound properties and can't seem to get any sound to work. Anyone have any idea's on what it could possibly be?

Try looking in Synaptic for the ALSA drivers. The ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) drivers provide support for almost all sound chipsets. I've used it on 4 PC's (my other 3 comps are Pentium 1's and aren't supported) and it has worked on all. When testing the Gutsy beta, sound didn't work on my ThinkPad, but after running a software update (which you should try), it got the correct drivers and was up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom