DSL modem takes smaller wire (not cat5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antiflash

Beta member
I thought my DSL signal was being bottle necked by the smaller(not cat5) phone cord that plugs into the back of my DSL modem.

The thing is we got DSL at the WRONG time and ended up paying $200 smackers for CAT5 ran thew the whole house, so i pulled the jack out and it turns out it has cat5-to smaller wire-to DSL modem..

SO my Download is capped at a SOLID 161kB/s and Im almost sure the other modem we had (the reason for the cat5 installation) was way faster.

Is their anyway to around the bottle neck that this Speed Steam 5260 Ethernet ADSL modem is asking for?

(that link is the only place i found specs for it at)

I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to say.

You're trying to find a way to bypass the 161kbp/s download cap?
Does the back of the modem have one plug for a phone cord, and one plug for an ethernet cord?

I thought my DSL signal was being bottle necked by the smaller(not cat5) phone cord that plugs into the back of my DSL modem.

DSL utilizes a small phone line (RJ-11 port) to connect to the Internet. The only way this will have an impact on speed is if it's a noisy line or is connected to un-filtered devices.

The thing is we got DSL at the WRONG time and ended up paying $200 smackers for CAT5 ran thew the whole house, so i pulled the jack out and it turns out it has cat5-to smaller wire-to DSL modem..

It is possible that your house was wired with non-Cat5 cable, and that your network is 10BASE-T (in that it only uses four wires, two pair, hence the smaller cable). Whoever wired your house may have just used standard four wire phone cable. Modern Ethernet networks use four pair (all eight wires). To quickly tell, just see how many individual small wires go into your RJ-45 wall plate.

If your definition of "to smaller wire" is a set of 8 itty bitty tiny colored wires that connect to your wallplate jack, that's normal. Cat5 consists of 8 tiny wires (4 twisted pair) which are around a rubbery sheath. This outer sheath is cut away at both ends because the networker had to wire the jacks on the wallplates.

SO my Download is capped at a SOLID 161kB/s and Im almost sure the other modem we had (the reason for the cat5 installation) was way faster.

161KB/s = 1288Kb/s = faster than 10BASE-T which is 1024Kb/s. So it's more likely that you do not have a 10BASE-T network.

Defining "to smaller wire" will probably clear up a lot of confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom