computer build help/suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told to go 6600 couple times now, and the only reason i didn't go this way in the first place is the packaged deals i'm getting.

Processor + case = 300 dollars total (the case is 160 the cpu 300, so i'm getting a free case).
PSU + ram = 180 total (the psu alone is like 130)

Now if i were to go other routes i would change a couple things. first off i'd stick with an antec 900 tower (those things look badass). Next with all those components, the 6600, 8800gt, different mobo, i'd be looking at something that might be a little bit more out of my price range, especially since with my other set up i already have a gfx (mind you i'm not that into gamin, so a kick *** gfx isn't necessary unless its really gonna hurt my everyday viewing).

I'm gonna try to come up with a 6600 set up and see if i can save myself a little bit of money.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I'll definitely stick with a lower rpm bigger gb HD.

take care

to answer the guy above this post:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket F (1207 FX) DSDC Architecture Processor - Retail

was original processor i was looking at purchasing.

Ok so i've went with a build that you've all suggested, and it is around 100 cheaper:

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Newegg.com - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL,FCC,CSA,CB,CE,TUV,ROHS - Retail
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

So now i guess my question is, will the 100 dollars more with the other set up improve the overall output of the computer or will this one be just as responsive? (btw i stuck with the psu/ram combo cause it saves me money and i leave room for a second processor). I guess at this point it seems like a gfx upgrade is needed, so either way i'll be spending the 200+ to get something worthwhile.

didn't i say overkill on the PSU... why not save a bunch and get a Corsair 520hx or 550vx

because dude, i buy a $120 psu, buy 2gb $80 ram, and i'm already at more than my psu/ram combo i currently have, and i get a higher watt output. the total for both psu and 2gb (1gb stick x 2) i currently posted are $180 total (plus a 40 dollar mail in rebate)...not only does that put me at 40 dollar less than what your suggesting, i get a higher watt psu enabling me to upgrade way more than the 550w one you suggested. If i thought that your psu + ram combo would save me money and be better in the long run i would definitely go with it, but i see no setbacks from having a high output psu (inform me if i'm wrong as i remind you this is my first pc build).

oh yeah, and plus who doesn't like the cool blue glow the one i have selected comes with :p (definitely kidding)

no problem, thanks for all the suggestions and help so far, i was definitely in the dark before. What are your feelings on a gfx card for the system? Should i just go all out or maybe stick with a 8600gt?

As well, will the two quoted machines run generally about the same speed/efficiency or is one going to overpower the other?

go all out.. since u saved like $100... u might as well use it on a good GPU.. plus the 8600gt sucks c**k man.. like an 8800gt is good (great)

as far as getting a gpu goes, it depends on what you wanna do as far as gaming goes. i believe with some companies you can do a step up program, where you buy a card and then you can send in the card and upgrade after a certain amount of time. also depends on what you want to be able to do for gaming. if you want to play the latest games on max settings you'rre gonna have to wait a bit and save more for a 8800gt, or a revision of the 8800gts.
if you don't mind playing semi-new games and not at highest settings, then there are some 8600's that are good and people like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom