Need Advice on E6700

Status
Not open for further replies.

thephantomop

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I have a E6700 CPU collecting dust and I figure I may as well do something with it so...

If you had a E6700 CPU and want to build a high-end system for gaming and graphics (photoshop...) what components would you use? I already have a 22 inch Viewsonic LCD and the basic accessories like a laser mouse, keyboard...

Motherboard:
Memory:
Graphics Card:
TV Tuner?

I don't want to go crazy with this as I already have built a:

P4 3.4 GHz
200GB SATA HD
Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP 512MB

I don't care for the graphics card I have since it's not really "powerful" in gaming. This system is about two years old but I want something that can handle the latest games smoothly.

It's been a long time since I kept up with the ever-changing hardware so I need your help!

Thanks!

Steve

Your hard drive is fine, but I don't know what kind of motherboard and RAM you're using. I'm not sure what platforms P4's took to run but I'm guessing that it wasn't LGA 775 and you're not using DDR2... I would pair your e6700 with 2GB of DDR800 or 1066 depending on what your motherboard can handle.
Also for the GPU pick up an 8800 GT when you see them in stock. They're really cheap for how powerful they are.

RAM: Newegg.com - mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) with EPP Profile Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (when it's in stock)

Those are some recommendations.
Hope this helps!

Let me clarify this, I am looking to build a separate system and not tweak the existing one. The FSB on the E6700 is 1000... right? Will I benefit from the 1066 motherboard? How about cooling and power supply wattage?

one question how did u end up with an e6700 collecting dust?

My mother works for Intel and they have a "loaner" program so the last two years they received a "loaner" chip. That's how I got the P4 CPU in my aforementioned custom build. The sad part is I've had this chip since it was selling at $700+ online.

So now the memory issue is resolved I am stuck on the motherboard. What is the difference between the different chip sets? Northbridge, southbridge, is it better to get one with SLI support?

There are many different manufacturers making the video card with the Nvidia chip, which is better and why?

omfg dude ifyou were to tell us this in person...we would lynch you. :)
not to be a rude person, but you have one of the best chips made sitting in your closet....um, next to your slippers. lol thats just GREAT.
as for your other questions i dont have the time to answer. lol i was just adding my smarty-pants remarks to your thread.

Different chipsets have different features, intergrated video, multi gpu support all that stuff. Depending on what brand of video card you chose, Nvdia for SLI support and ATI for crossfire support. Some users will buy a card now and get a new one to add on when they need the extra performance. Most people don't need the multi gpu support so having another PCI-Express slot won't effect them.

As for the manufacturers, some manufactuers have a great reputation like XFX and evga that make reliable cards or factory overclocked cards that work well. Other brands like foxxcon, PNY, foxxconn are known for cheaper but unrealiable products.

Before all those brands just made motherboards like msi, gigabyte and asus. I was pretty surprised at first when some other brand than sapphire was making videocards for ati and some other brand than BFG was making video cards for nvdia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom