computer build help/suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtonsnow8

Solid State Member
whattup!

So my current computer is old...and well its just **** slow. I'm looking into building my own computer for a couple reasons: I think its much cheaper than buying from dell, hp, and others (conformation of this would be appreciated), it will be faster than most computers i could buy from those companies anyways, and i get a cool free case :) lol. Well since this is my first build, I would definitely like some help with components to make sure i have all the right stuff and won't run into compatibility issues.

This computer will be used for a multiple range of things. I work on projects at home occasionaly, using ps3, dreamweaver, adobe flash etc and as well will use for some pc gaming (looking into getting CoD4). Of course i will play music and videos occasionally, but most likely not for editing.

Here is what i'm looking at purchasing (or view specs below):

Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Newegg.com - ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual L (1207FX) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI MCP SSI CEB AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Extreme Edition VA8004BWS Black 1.0mm SECC Chassis/ Aluminum Front Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket F (1207 FX) DSDC Architecture Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL,FCC,CSA,CB,CE,TUV,ROHS - Retail

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

As well i currently have a nvidia 6800 which i will swap to this computer. As far as price range, anywhere in the 800-1400 works for me. Is there anything that should be upgraded? Is there any items that are overkill and could be downgraded?

As for OS options, right now i'm thinking about doing a double boot (linux and windows os installed) and getting programs like wine etc so i will mainly run on linux, just have windows for those programs that dont work. Do you think vista is a viable option (I HATE VISTA) or should i stick with xp pro? What are your thoughts on linux as an OS?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'll be the first of many to tell you that the 10,000 rpm hard drives aren't worth it. Get some 500gb 7200's instead. The speed boost you receive from a raptor is almost unnoticeable.

Also, the 6800 card is going to be a huge bottleneck on your system when playing games. I would downgrade your mobo and get a 8800gt, it IS worth it.

The actual performance increase from the Raptor drives is questionable. I'd get one of the new 7200.11 Seagate drives if I were you.

I'd suggest Intel instead:
Motherboard: Something with the P35 Northbridge
CPU: Q6600

Power supply is huge overkill, 80A on the 12V rails is way to much. Though it does *seem* to be a good deal for the money, I don't know anything about which brand is quality or not.

The Corsair 520W power supply would be a good one though.

I recommend 64-bit Vista, but it's your call.

The Quad FX Sucks... its got nothing on a q6600 and 8800gt based system:

get a q6600, an Abit IP35-E, and an 8800gt.. because the 6800 will heavily bottleneck it... overkill PSU.. get a Corsair 520

dang.... aether nice timing..

i would say save some money with a Q series quad and a p35 board, or a 680i/650i board if you wanna sli. then you can take the extra money you save and get another 8800GT when they come back in stock of course.
also you can use the money you save to get a different case.

raptors are overrated, go with a barracuda 7200.10/11 if you want speed for a good price. you can get a really nice 320-500gb hd for cheaper then 1 raptor.

also get a corsiar 520/620hx cpu.

LOL!!! nice timing, vernong and aether. and we all reccomended basically the same thing. haha.

lol... still not as great as the 4 time same timed recommendation Sora, Peter, b1gapl and me had..

and we said the exact same thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom