New Folding@Home GUI and GPU Clients Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
New Folding@Home GUI and GPU Clients Coming

Folding@Home Director Vijay Pande says that new GUI and GPU clients are on the way and that the new client/core will be shown at SC2007. Thanks to the guys on our Folding team for the heads up. If you want to join the number one Folding team on the planet, hit this link and find out how (it's easy).

A new GUI for the GPU and non-GPU clients. Right now, the GUI is coded for Windows, but we will be migrating it to OSX as well. The main highlights is the new look (check out the screen shot below), new updating scheme (we will update the picture in real time, or close to real time, in the GUI client, much like the GPU and PS3 clients do today), and perhaps most importantly, much better driver support (we've fixed most if not all of the bugs leading to driver incompatibilities). The upshot is that this is a major rewrite of much of the GUI leading to better performance, stability, and much prettier look. Thanks to Chris Sweet and ATI for their extra help here and Adam for making it all work.

People say that Vista takes Memory. Like that GUI wont hog a few GB's itself. It looks nice but sorry i wont run that GUI.

Nice UI but why not nVidia cards people?

.. stupid system too slow.. 2 weeks for a stinking WU on idle...

Read today in Popular Science that nVidia is just now releasing an API to run non-graphics related code on their 8800 and higher series cards. Maybe people haven't figured out how to run stuff on nVidia cards yet. I really wish they'd release a Linux GUI version of Folding...

It is the difference in architecture that lets F@H run on ATI and not Nvidia. ATI cooperates with Stanford to allow F@H. Hopefully Nvidia will do the same one day.

Actually, I'm running the GPU client on my X1600Pro...it runs a lot faster than my Sempron using the CPU client. It's pretty impressive how they can use a graphics processor for number crunching tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom