Mobo and processor upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazvenn

Baseband Member
ok i've currently got:

amd 3700+
some cheap nforce 4 sli mobo.
PNY 8600gts (was going to get the 8800 gts but due to my old 6800gt dieing on me this was the only card i could find quickly)

i've already got some new memory for a new board ( corsair xms2 pc6400, i think)

and wonder what people reccommend

think i'm looking to spend <£100 on the mobo and around £150ish on the CPU.

currently looking at either q6600 or another core 2 duo around the same price.

mobo's im not really sure but have heard good things about nforce 680i's

another thing, the graphics card is hardly amazing ( even though its so much better than the old one) and wondering what people think of running another of these in SLI compaired to selling the 8600gts to a mate and getting an 8800gt as they seem the best buy right now.

thanks for your time, Gaz

Q6600 is a giant upgrade from that 3700+.

For the motherboard, here are good choices:
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Abit IP35-PRO
ASUS P5K Deluxe
ASUS P5N32-E

I believe a single 8800GT can take on two 8600GTS, with no problem. The 8800GT by itself, will consume less power, and produce less heat. Plus it's overclock friendly.

If you are willing to spend less, get a P35-DS3L isntead of the DS3R, because I believe that the only difference between the two is the RAID feature. edit: oh, and DDR2 1066 support.

Yes, for sure go with a Q6600.

Or, if you can wait, I'd see what the Phenoms have to offer and even wait out a little until the 8800GTS G92 Revision comes out. If you can really wait and if the Phenoms suck, in January you can get a Q9450 (Yorkfield) for $300, which trust me, is an amazing price.

What kind of power supply do you have?

Q9450 is going to be awesome!

um what?

wait b1gapl by the P5N32-E don't you mean the Plus.. because the regular P5N32-E is like $200+ or something??

Great Choices on the boards as usual...
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Abit IP35-PRO
Abit IP35
ASUS P5K Deluxe
ASUS P5N32-E Plus

but also noteworthy if you don't want a lot of SATA Ports or RAID:

Abit Ip35-e
Gigabyte p35-ds3l
Asus P5K

but if you wanna SLi.. the board i bolded up there is the only SLi supported board we updated....

PSU is a 500w one i got a while ago now and can't remember the make but i'm sure its not really one of the big names.

and with regards to the q9450 i think i'll have to look into that seeing as its going to be around the same price as the q6600 now but then the 6600 will obviously be even cheaper so will have to decide then. shall look into the boards when i get time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom