Total noobie at this, want to make super PC! Help pleeease...

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is just my opinion but 30 is overkill XD and you will notice a performance drop. Crysis will murder ultras at 1900x. I dont even want to look at the 2560x benches.
1900x, 2560x, what? sorry I don't understand

also imo 19 is small -.- Great for performance/speed mind you XD.
with your budget NCIX.com - Buy LG L245WP-BN 24IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 8MS 1000:1 500CDM Pivot Height Adjust Tilt VGA HDMI - L245WP-BN In Canada. a 24" should be great. gives you access to 1900x res still has great response. + this has some stellar reviews.
I was in huge debate over this monitor vs samsung vs benq and this one won out. Though its more expensive.

Course nothing is 100% concrete so take it with a grain of salt. Any comments on the above from the pro's? As things stand I'll be grabbing this one unless someone has some contrasting info XD.

oh
TN Film, MVA, PVA and IPS – Which one's for you?
great link for lcd display info.
That one still has 8ms response time, the same as the 30" one I mentioned -- Isn't the "slow" response time what people were saying could be an issue with ghosting etc?

that sceptre is a nice one
sceptre?

did anybody notice the heatsink/fan combo?
if your gonna be doing some oc'ing you'll want to get a tuniq tower if you can get it over across the pond.
even if your not oc'ing you should get it.
They don't sell it here at least yet, I found an article dated 1st Nov saying they are looking for a distributor: HEXUS.net - Review :: Tuniq 3 PC system case : Page - 1/9

also if your gonna put this much money into the gaming system of the century, you should invest in some fun extras that will really put your system over the top, like lights, more fans, nice cooling, etc..
don't care about lights, personally I think they look silly and a waste of lectricity :p BUT with fanswell the case comes with like 4 isn't that good enough?

Regarding cooling like I said I am thinking about water cooling but I am scared that it could be really hard to setup and maintain

you could probably beat the 3dmark06 record if you get your hands on some LN2
what's LN2?

ever thought of Phase Change Cooling? its expensive and you got the money to do it you could deffinatly OC the heck outa tat extreme and steal the top TechForums 3dmark score.
No, what is that please? Currently I have looked at fans, thermoelectric (refrigeration) and water cooling

i never mentioned anythign about ghosting. read the quote. if it has truth then niether the 24 or 30 have anythign to worry about ghosting unless your over around 120fps. which would be restricted by the refresh rate anyhow. so no it wont ghost.

if you want the 30 go ahead XD its a killer monitor.

1900x1200 and 2560x1600 are the high resolutions. Makes the games look super nice. but at the cost of performance. 1900 isnt so bad with the top top end cards usually. 2560 is murder for some games. the ultra xxx version was only pulling 30fps in lost planet at 2560x1600 max settings. Id hate to see the crysis fps XD And if your just going to play at 1900 anyhow may as well save a ton of cash from the super expensive 30". Or you could just buy it anyhow and not worry about getting a new monitor for who knows how long XD future cared will be able to handel the high high res way better anyway.

Id get a 30 if i could. but thats me. i just suggested that monitor i linked too because out of discussions on several other forums I had it always came out at #1 over the samsung and Benq (all 24") and its the one I'm gettin. everyone else has different opinions. Was just giving an option to look at.

watercooling doesnt really take any maintaining IF you set it up properly.

phase change is same idea as refridgeration. It takes a liquid coolant, converts it into a gas, absorbs the heat, compresses it back into a liquid and cools it off. Giving your CPU sub zero temps. Very cold. runs around 1000$ for a new unit.

1900x and 2560x are resolutions. 1920x 1200 for example. Those are high end reso's that most game enthusiast play at.

With your new comp your gonna want to use these resolutions.

However, speculation is that no current GPU will be able to play Crysis at those resolutions with a stable FPS because Crysis is too far ahead of its time. Personally i think you should go with 2 8800GT's or even just one for now, and wait for the 9800 series to come out. No point wasting over 1300$ on a SLI setup that in a couple months wont be worth a 3rd of that price. But even with 2 ultra's, you'll be set for a while.

dang.. he doesn't get resolutions.. how on earth does he expect to build a system....

but seriously.... don't go overboard on the resolution.. its like the Ultimate Suicide for a GPU..

dang.. he doesn't get resolutions.. how on earth does he expect to build a system....

but seriously.... don't go overboard on the resolution.. its like the Ultimate Suicide for a GPU..

exactly XD imho 1900 is a great high res. considering 1600 is nice as well. i play in 1280x1024 right now and i'm not even remotely satisfied. If course its all up to preference.

i never mentioned anythign about ghosting. read the quote.
oh sorry, got you mixed up with someone else :eek:

if it has truth then niether the 24 or 30 have anythign to worry about ghosting unless your over around 120fps. which would be restricted by the refresh rate anyhow. so no it wont ghost.

if you want the 30 go ahead XD its a killer monitor.
Oh that's good to hear :) I was worried with all the people saying "8ms is too slow" etc on another forum :)

watercooling doesnt really take any maintaining IF you set it up properly.
hmm, know any good guides and stuff maybe

phase change is same idea as refridgeration. It takes a liquid coolant, converts it into a gas, absorbs the heat, compresses it back into a liquid and cools it off. Giving your CPU sub zero temps. Very cold. runs around 1000$ for a new unit.
better or worse than LN2? sounds nice

she actually, and it's just the numbers threw me off because I had never even heard of those resolutions before and got confused thinking they were talking about something else entirely :) 1280x1024 maybe ;)

ah sorry XD it was my bad. I have a Really bad habbit of assuming things. and i just typed out 1900 and 2650 because I usualyl forget what the 2nd half is hahaha.

The 24 will not ghost, unless your monitor is deffective, or you're running at ridiculous framerates. And since the framerate caps at whatever your monitors refresh rate is 60-75 i believe. youre good to go. This was my biggest worry and everything i've found/heard supports it. Someone may prove it wrong but untill then i'm going for it. XD

Guide To WaterCooling and Leak Testing - ALL New WaterCooler's Read Before Posting! - XtremeSystems Forums
IMO this is best watercooling guide ive ever seen. Info on what all the pieces do, what to look for, shows you how to leak test, info on setting it up/placement/cleaning etc etc.. Good read.

I've never looked into LN2 because it even just sounds absurd. I dont even want to know what LN costs. A phasechange unit will put your CPU between -45 and -20 Celcius. I dont know the farenheit conversion sry. Basically heat is non existant from your cpu lol.

Keep in mind it consumes a lot of electricity. Its like running a mini fridge. I was supposed to get one but theres a lot of problems trying to ship to canada, so i dunno XD.

once you get used to 1600 and 1900 res you never wanna go down haha. they're nice looking on a good system ^^

I will probably be going with that nice 30" one then hope it will turn out ok.

I'll read that guide, thanks.

no one here uses fahrenheit except a few old people dont worry lol

So sounds like phase change is actually better than water cooling (AND easier to setup???)? how do they compare? does water cooling use a LOT less electricity or are they about the same? I don't like wasting electricity if poss ;o

XD Phase change is 100x better for cooling your CPU. It will Only cool your cpu though. watercooling can also cool your video card if you so choose. Watercooling will keep your cpu somewhere near ambient room temp. and a tad over. Phase will bring it many degrees below freezing. keep in mind you could use phase and build a small watercooling loop Just for your video card if you wanted as well. I would say WC uses a Lot less energy than phase.

PCStats guy said:
When it first starts up, the Prometeia Mach II GT draws 495W of power. That value quickly drops to an idle power draw of about 250W. With an Athlon64 4000+ processor under 100% load, the Prometeia draws slightly more, peaking at the 275W mark. There's no way around the fact Prometeia Mach II GT uses a lot of electricity directly; the motor simply requires it.

Comparing the power usage of the Prometeia Mach II GT to a bar fridge of about 4 cubic feet in size, we saw similar peak results, as the fridge hit a high of 550W when first powered on. Normal power consumption was quite a bit lower though, between 70-85W. The Danfoss NF9FX compressor is usually used in larger appliances like full size fridges, the compressor found in an average bar fridge is about one-third the size. In any case, it is an interesting comparison.
ECT Prometeia Mach II GT PCSTATS Review - Room for Improvements
thats a link to a review of the phase change unit youd want if you were getting one.

watercooling pump:
Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump
Nominal Power (@12 V): 24 W
Nominal Current (@12 V): 2 Amp
+ 2 or 3 fans

So id guess phase takes roughly 11x more power to run. Wether thats a waste or not is up to you. If you want to cool your extreme cpu to sub zero and oc like mad and such its not much of a waste. but as for just normal overclocking and pc usage its probably waay more than most people would want to bother with.

as far as setup. yeah i believe phase is easier and way less time consuming. Watercooling takes proper and thorough cleaning of all the parts used, clamping the hoses and leak testing for a long period of time (can just do that overnight though). Cleaning is the worst part haha, you can see that in the guide link i posted earlier.

Phase you grease up the spots needed, screw the unit in place and you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom