Evga 8800gts Ssc

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmammen

Self Proclaimed Immortal
With 112 stream processors and supercharged 8800 GTX clock speeds, EVGA's e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC is the fastest GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB on the planet
Quote:
We had a tough time scoring EVGA's e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC graphics card. On one hand, thanks to its 112 stream processors and supercharged clock speeds, this is the fastest GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB card we've ever tested. On paper no other GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB card boasts better specs, including BFG's own GeForce 8800 GTS EE OC 640MB, which also features 112 stream processors. EVGA also prices this board very aggressively in comparison to other GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB cards, already Newegg carries the card for $360 after $30 mail-in rebate.

Among GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB cards, the EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC is clearly in a class of its own.

On the other hand, the GeForce 8800 GT at stock speeds performs awfully close to the e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC. Sure, the EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC is the faster card overall, but the 8800 GT definitely gives it a run for its money. A factory overclocked GeForce 8800 GT (like EVGA's own e-GeForce 8800 GT SSC) would likely outrun the e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC. Considering that the GeForce 8800 GT 512MB starts at $250 – roughly $150 less than the e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC – it's clearly the better overall value if you're on a budget.

Clearly this isn't EVGA's fault, by clocking the board as high as they did (GTX speeds) they've done all they can to make the e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC into a contender. The problem is they have to walk a fine line where the board needs to best the 8800 GT without coming too close to the performance of the 8800 GTX.

Based on our performance benchmarks it looks like they've accomplished that mission admirably, but with the SSC's $400 price tag and faster G92 cards rumored to be on the way shortly, we have to wonder if it was all worth it.

Fortunately this is where EVGA's excellent Step Up program comes in. If a faster G92 card is released by NVIDIA in the next 3 months, e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC card owners always have the option of trading up to the faster card thanks to EVGA's Step Up program. Think of it as a down payment on a shiny new GeForce 8900. Step Up is yet another reason why we're big fans of EVGA's graphics cards.

When you combine the strong performance of the e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC card with EVGA Step Up and the card's free copy of Quake Wars, you can see that EVGA has put together an excellent package for right around $400. For another $100 though, you could combine two EVGA GeForce 8800 GT cards together for SLI and have a graphics setup that would whip the e-GeForce 8800 GTS SSC…

Now do you see why we're so conflicted?

meh, Im Happy with my 8800GT.

Guys, this is not the 8800GTS G92 Revision. This is still G80. I'm sure you probably already know this hmammen, I just want to make sure that nobody else gets confused.

I wish they just called it the 8900GTS. It would make sense because it WILL beat out the GTX and Ultra, if not come very close.

What always made me blink, was how the 8800GT manages to get away with being so slim for the performance it punches out.

What always made me blink, was how the 8800GT manages to get away with being so slim for the performance it punches out.

It's on the 65nm process, compared to the G80's 90nm. So it consumes less power, and doesn't need a dual slot cooler.

Vaanish said:
Well on the 1st line it says that it has got 112SPs. I thought that only the G92 8800GTS had the 112SPs?
That's what I thought. But I read that it's using the 90nm process, so it's G80.

This is just an overlcocked version, it is not the g92 rev.2 unfortunately. I was just posting this because it seemed like useful info, and shows again how much the 8800GT prevails.

Until you see a GTS with 512mb of ram instead of 640, its NOT the new one, just the old g80s with more stream processors.

Until you see a GTS with 512mb of ram instead of 640, its NOT the new one, just the old g80s with more stream processors.

^That's an excellent way to put it. You know what's funny though, is that noobs will be like, "WTF they downgraded it from 640MB to 512MB" or if they're even dumber, they'll buy the 640MB version thinking it's better. I still think 8900GTS would've been a much better name for this thing, or even 8850GTS (although that is quite an ugly name).

I will buy it in a heartbeat if this thing is priced at around $300-$350 (for cheapest version possible) and performs just as well, if not better than an Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom