The Battle of the Thermal Compunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Battle of the Thermal Pastes.....

thanks...but what if its AS5.

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Yes....but of course that doesn't mean, you can be careless enough, to get it on your motherboard or CPU pins.

Yep..what if it gets on the pins...is the cpu done, or do you just have to wipe it off?

o no, nothing got on...im jw

I've been careful with the chip, the paste was on the outside of the mobo cpu cover.
I cleaned the surfaces, i still have to wipe it off with some rubbing alcohol to be on the safe side.

also to be noted the 2 "better" pastes then AS5 are rated to be the MOST DIFFICULT to apply- so besides the higher price for the fractional loss in temperatures- people have stated they lost or used a full syringe on 1 proccessor there first time using them, one it is reccomended to "paint on" in a very thin coat but if you get too much to wipe it off and start over ><

both have been rated "PAINS IN THE you know what" and difficulty of 5 of 1-5 from users and not reccomended if you've never put on paste before.

so.... as for me.. Ill stick with AS5. Easier to apply, better trusted- more well known, and best of all, Free for me.

oh not to mention that both others have been known to corrode certain heatsinks (depending which- compound if they corrode copper or alumi) and its been mentioned that one has actually FUSED the HS and CPU together.

ehh? the only one that is difficult to apply is the Coolaboratory Pro.

Personally, I use Shin-etsu and Arctic Cooler MX-1

mx-1 is easy to apply... (i would know) its just the top one... Coolaboratory Pro that has applying issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom