FSB:RAM Ratio question

Status
Not open for further replies.
it means that the ram runs 3.20 times faster than your FSB in DDR2....keep it at 2.0 for a 1:1 ratio. That means if your FSB is at 400 and it's at 2.0, your ram would run at DDR2-800 which is where you want it. Basically 2.0 is all you will want to make it a good ratio.

can I just leave it on auto and will it autodetect what it needs?

Overclocking Quads on Gigabyte P35-DS3R - Page 2 - Guru3D.com Forums

this guy set it to 3.2 althought I dont even see that option, theres a 3 option thought

also is 0.1+ voltage for everything a good idea for added stability? Won't it generally add more heat to the entire system?

also is 0.1+ voltage for everything a good idea for added stability? Won't it generally add more heat to the entire system?

It is good for added stability. Although it adds heat, I don't think it's by much. As long as your temperatures are good, it's ok.

It is good for added stability. Although it adds heat, I don't think it's by much. As long as your temperatures are good, it's ok.

so 0.1+ to everything? and leave the FSB:Ratio thing to Auto and hope the mobo can figure it out?

Yes, +0.1 for everything to start. Except for the RAM. What is your RAM by the way? I ask this, because you should set it's voltage to it's stock. The DS3R sets all DDR2 RAM to 1.8v as a standard, when it says "Normal".

I would suggest the same as Sora said, and set the ratio to 2.0, for a 1:1 ratio.

Yes, +0.1 for everything to start. Except for the RAM. What is your RAM by the way? I ask this, because you should set it's voltage to it's stock. The DS3R sets all DDR2 RAM to 1.8v as a standard, when it says "Normal".

I would suggest the same as Sora said, and set the ratio to 2.0, for a 1:1 ratio.

I have 2 gigs of G.skill ddr2 800 ram, I already set it to 2.0v ( +0.2v ) like that one thread suggested. I can't set the ratio to 2.0 for a 1:1 ratio, if my ram is 800 mhz, it runs at 400 mhz, which means I would technically need ram capable of running at 533 mhz and then I couldnt get a bus speed past the stock 266. I got 4-4-4-12 timings thought...

Right now Im thinking of setting the bus speed to 300 ( for an overclock of 2.7 ghz ) and setting the ratio to 2.65 ( althought I doubt they have this number in the bios so would auto work? )

I don't understand your reasoning at all. First off even at stock your ram runs at 400mhz, so a 1:1 ratio would mean your CPU FSB would run at 400. For your Q6600 to run at 400FSB that means it would be at 3.6ghz which is very high. Trust me your ram will easily run 1:1 no problem...your ram's mhz need to be even with your FSB; thats all.

All you need to do is just set your FSB to 300 and set the ratio to 2.0 and your RAM will run at 300mhz (DDR2-600). it will be on a 1:1 ratio and you can tighten the timings a lot from there.

I don't understand your reasoning at all. First off even at stock your ram runs at 400mhz, so a 1:1 ratio would mean your CPU FSB would run at 400. For your Q6600 to run at 400FSB that means it would be at 3.6ghz which is very high. Trust me your ram will easily run 1:1 no problem...your ram's mhz need to be even with your FSB; thats all.

All you need to do is just set your FSB to 300 and set the ratio to 2.0 and your RAM will run at 300mhz (DDR2-600). it will be on a 1:1 ratio and you can tighten the timings a lot from there.

I apologize for my mistake/misunderstanding, I don't think I clearly understand all of this right. ( I think I'm mixing fsb/ram ratio compared to the whole number system memory multiplier ) So if the ratio is set at 2.0 then that means my ram runs 2x faster then my FSB in DDR2 ( based on your earlier post ) but isnt ddr2-600 300 mhz ram slower then what it is currently at? ( which is ddr2 800 )

For further clarification ( tell me if I got this right ), my systems at 266 fsb stock right now and my rams at ddr2-800 and CPU Z says its at 2:3 ratio which means the 266 is multiplied by 1.5x to make it 400. So based on these specifications what is the system memory multipler ( currently set on auto ) is it 1.5? So your telling me to change the fsb to 300 and change the memory multiplier to x2 to get a 1:1 ratio. Doesn't that mean that I already have a 1:1ratio thought?

Umm, I think you might be confused about "memory multiplier".

Okay, I will try to help clarify, but I don't know if this will help:

This is your system now:
FSB: 266MHz
FSB:RAM Ratio: 1.5x
RAM speed: 400MHz (266*1.5)
so its running at DDR2-800 because 400*2 = 800

After overclocking:
FSB = 300MHz
Change FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1
Therefore your RAM speed gets downclocked to 300MHz
so now you're running your RAM at DDR2-600.

In case you didn't know, DDR2 says its running at twice the speed it actually is. So for example on your current system, you bought 800MHz RAM, but the RAM is actually only running at 400MHz. The DDR2 technology enables it to double its output. So if you had DDR2-800 at stock and clocked the FSB to 400MHz, you would have a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio.

If you are running at 2:3 that means that your memory multi is 2.5 right now, which is perfectly fine. Don't get hung up on running 1:1 memory:fsb. Just let your memory run at its stated speed unless you are overclocking the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom