Mouse/Cursor Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
Suddenly the other day my cursor started acting up. It will occasionally freeze in one position and become unusable. When this happens, unplugging it from the PS/2 port and plugging it back in usually fixes it.

I also have frequent moments where my cursor will lock up in one spot for a couple seconds, and the rest of my system will freeze too for that time, music skips, etc.

Now the really big one, twice now in the last day, my cursor has gone crazy... for a couple seconds, it will jump around the screen randomly clicking different buttons on different things faster than my eye can follow. A second or two later, I'll ave control of the cursor again, but Windows Explorer will be all messed up with contextual menus frozen in place everywhere and random windows opened/closed. Also, I will not be able to click on anything again until I hit Control+Alt+del to bring up the task manager - explorer will not respond to mouse clicks.

The last thing I did before it started happening was install Windows Movie Maker. Incidentally, the installation must have screwed up, because there's no uninstall data in the registry. Running the program froze my computer for several minutes until I force-quit Windows Explorer, and I haven't touched it since. The only other recent installation I can think of that may be affecting it would be WindowBlinds, which I applied several hours prior.

EDIT: Windows XP Pro SP2
Logitech MX518 mouse
MSI P6N SLI Platinum Mobo

IT sounds as if the Movie Maker install bugged your system. Can you uninstall it from the Add/REmove control panel?

IT sounds as if the Movie Maker install bugged your system. Can you uninstall it from the Add/REmove control panel?

I´ll place a bet on WindowBlinds. I took a little journey to windowBlinds fórum and it seems that... well take a look.

I have used Windowsblinds for over 3 years and have NEVER had this happen to me. But even he said that his install of Movie Maker didnt finish right. That would cause it over WB anyday.

Plus this would have presented itself before the install of Movie Maker if it was a Windowsblinds issue. He said he did install WB a few hours before that. So this issue would have been present long before the isntall of MM. ;)

As I said there was no uninstall data added to the registry, hence it does not appear in the add/remove programs panel. There is no uninstall method.

I, too have used WB before and never had this problem.

Sadly it sounds like the MM is messing it up. Do you have any restore points??

Maybe delete the mouse and drivers from the Windows install. Them restart and have Windows re-install them. See if that does anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom