another noob trying to OC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm80

Solid State Member
I've been reading up on Overclocking and I think i want to give it a shot. Need a few questions cleared up first...

here are my specs:
Intel E4500 @ 2.2ghz
GA-P35-DS3L mobo
2gb G.Skill DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

I read that it isn't required, but a good idea to put the ram to 1:1 ratio, which i think i understand. That a good idea then?

my stock setting is 200mhz with x11 multiplier... Is it a bad idea to try to OC with the multiplier at 11?

What is a good beginner OC target i should aim for with this cpu. And what combo of fsb + multiplier would be good with it? I know not all cpu's work at the same combos but just want a general idea.

Any other info i should know about or specific settings with my mobo i should change?

If you want to OC as far as possible, then it is necessary to set the RAM to a 1:1. Otherwise your CPU OC will be held back by the RAM. You can always change the ratio on the RAM after your done with the CPU.

Also disable EIST and C1E.

what g.skill's do you have? HZ's will let you oc very well. You can still get decent oc's regardless though. Your ram is going to hold you back unless you can get it to run ddr2 1000 with a 1:1

I set it at x9 333mhz, i put voltage at auto... is that wise?

My gskill is F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ.

Current mem settings are 667mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings with 1:1 ratio. Not sure where to go from here after the current torture test.

let it go all night with orthos, almost 11 hours now and no problems. Max temp was 50c. I took the vcore of auto and put it at stock. I was told having it at auto would always overcompensate and thats why Temps were hitting 60c.

I'm happy with the cpu at 3ghz and stock voltage. Not sure if i want to go higher.

I am curious about my ram... It is the cheaper gskill ram, so should i bother trying to improve the settings or will it be more trouble than its worth?

If i should try, how should i go about it?

I let orthos go till about 15 hours, no problems. Played Quake wars, CD4 and crysis off and on the whole day with no problems. Since I figured i didnt need any more stress testing i turned the comp off last night.

This morning it was not booting with my OC settings no matter what i did... Let it run for a bit at stock then put the settings back in and it works again. Does this mean it wasnt stable afterall? It was off all night in a very cold room (58F) if that means anything.

I did not yet change rams settings either.

ram is 5-5-5-15 1:1 running at 667mhz. volt is default 1.8v

ran memtest with no probs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom