GDI.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

lheggie

Baseband Member
A friend of mine has a dell system that is running windows me. when you try to start it up .. starts to load windows and then gives this error message.

"explorer has caused an error in gdi.exe. explorer will close now. If you continue to experience this problem try restarting your computer. "

The error messages occurs every single time that you try to start up the computer and it will not let you finish starting up windows me.

The only way to get the computer to start up is in safe mode.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreicated as I am trying to help out a friend and she would prefer that I try to avoid reinstalling windows.

When i disable NDIS.VXD i am able to boot windows normally but the problem occurs as soon as i reinable NDIS.VXD . I am in the process of scanning for spyware. I scanned with spy sweeper and am now scanning with spy hunter.

If i re enable the ndis.vxd the problem comes back. I scanned for viruses and for spyware. I have removed all of the spyware and have not found any a single virus on the system. I scanned the system with Norton and with AVG. Any other suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The system is a dell demensions 4100. Running windows me. It has 128 mb ram and a 30 GB hard drive.

The Graphical Device Interface handles all the functions needed to produce images on your screen, including keyboard and mouse functions, as well as print services. It can be affected by your video card driver so make sure that you visit the manufacturer's web site and make sure you have the latest drivers for your card.

About debugging the NDIS

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279356

I would try installing the latest drivers for your Video card.

To do this start in Safe Mode, go to the control panel, Display Adapters, and remove your present card.

On reboot the Hardware wizard should discover it, and provide an opportunity to install the drivers,

Another method may be to install a fresh copy of NDIS.vxd available at the

http://www.network-drivers.com/drivers/62/62724.htm

Another question would be ,, if this error suddenly started ,, what did you do to the PC?? what changes were made?

Have you tried system restore?? to a point where there was no issue??

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom