Asus 590sli+AMD 5000 or Gigabyte P35+Q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
My second build is nearing completion. I'm just doing final tweaking. My budget for this build is already a bit over limit, so additional costs are an issue. My question is, which CPU/MOBO setup do I go with? What are overclocking abilities for each of these?

ASUS 590sli motherboard
AMDx2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz
$300

OR

Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
$410

Is the money difference worth getting the Intel quad?

Also, does the Tuniq Tower now fit AM2 sockets? What thermal paste comes with the Tuniq Tower and should I buy Arctic Silver instead?

IMO i would always get AS Thermal grease... just to make sure you know what you are putting on your stuff...

hmm.. quad-cores vs a dual-core with an unlocked multiplier...

i choose Quad-Core.. get some good MX-2..

Ah, Phenom! Didn't know what that was until I did a google search. The new AMD quad core processors! I guess they will fit in the AM2 sockets, but will run at the old Hypertransport speeds. The new AM2+ sockets are coming out too. Those both will probably send me over budget, but I may just have to save up and wait. Should be worth it!

Delayed? How long then until they come out?

Tuniq's thermal grease is actually pretty high quality.

There is a big misconception regarding the quality and performance of TIMs shipped with high end aftermarket heatsinks . They are not nearly as bad as said, and there is totally nothing wrong with using them. They might not perform as good, but its not something I would lose sleep over. If you've got the extra 10 bucks, go for it, if not, whatever.

we heard it was canceled til q1 of 2008.. but i was wrong.. .since Vaanish is the AMD know-it-all....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom