How to keep WinXP really fast & stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: How to keep WinXP really fast & stable

I want your opinion on what I should do:

I currently have 2 Maxtor 74 gb IDE 5400 rpm HD's. (getting WD Raptor X 150gb SATA 10,000rpm soon)

I was going to create two partitions on one drive
1- OS
2- Paging files
And on the Second drive also two partitions
1- Games
2- Software and Apps

First, would this work?
Second, what does the autostreamer do?
Third, I have a custombuild pc which I made and have the drivers OS at hand. Should I use any program to back up drivers as you stated in your sticky? Or would I just be better off sticking with the drivers from the Original CD?

What would be the best way to utilize my current HD's?

Your suggestions and input is well appreciated!

I want your opinion on what I should do:

I currently have 2 Maxtor 74 gb IDE 5400 rpm HD's. (getting WD Raptor X 150gb SATA 10,000rpm soon)

I was going to create two partitions on one drive
1- OS
2- Paging files
And on the Second drive also two partitions
1- Games
2- Software and Apps

First, would this work?
Second, what does the autostreamer do?
Third, I have a custombuild pc which I made and have the drivers OS at hand. Should I use any program to back up drivers as you stated in your sticky? Or would I just be better off sticking with the drivers from the Original CD?

What would be the best way to utilize my current HD's?

Your suggestions and input is well appreciated!

autosteamer is software that will ley you install service pack 2 unto your xp disc.

make a 40 gig parition for windows on the first hdd. you can use the remaining 24 for games and or software. there is really no benefit for putting games and software on another partition

make a 5 gig partition at the beginning of the 2nd hdd for your page file. then make the rest for your documents. the pf should alway be at the beginning of a hdd for faster access. it's impossible for you to put it before your first os drive with xp. you can with vista

from an old post of mine

Tired of losing drivers when you reinstall XP?

Posted by: EricB

part of this trick was courtesy of PCWorld

download the proper OS batch file to your desktop or your C drive (It didn't work when I copied it from another partition). If it don't download, copy and paste it in notepad and save it as drivercopy. rename the .txt extension to .bat. viola, you now have a batch file.

XP
98,ME

open it. it will open command prompt. it will copy the files to your C drive

it will save it as a hidden folder called olddrivers. (you have to unhide them in folder options to see them. right click the drive, select properties and unhide). you can now burn it to disk (I would burn the batch file too). if you ever have reformat, you can throw this disc in (make sure you use the add new hardware wizard or update in device manager.
if it ask for more files, browse to the cd) when you are done. it will contain all of your latest drivers.
oldrivers1.jpg

oldrivers2.jpg

edit. the links doesn't seem to work anymore. copy this into notepad and save it as a bat file on your desktop

echo off
cls
echo This batch file is meant for use ONLY with Windows XP.
echo It copies certain files and folders out of the Windows folder so that
echo they are still on your hard drive when you delete that folder and
echo reinstall Windows.
echo Written by Lincoln Spector for PC World.
pause
md \olddrivers
cd \olddrivers
xcopy c:\windows\help /h /y
xcopy c:\windows\inf /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system32 /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system32\drivers /h /r /y
pause

do you mean that my my account is limited

I just reformatted and created 1 40gig partition for OS and another 37gig partition for software and games. I also created two partitions on my second HD a 5gig partition for page files and 72gig partition for files...

The only question I have is about the page files. I changed them to what EricB said for ppl with 2gb of ram or more which was 200mb but it just seems small for the amount of space I just allocated for page filing? Should I increase the page filing to like 4.5gig or just leave it as a min and max of 200mg?

Also, I should not have any paging files on any of my other partitions now correct?

And there is another option for system managed size. Should I select that instead of setting the min and max to 200mb?

I just reformatted and created 1 40gig partition for OS and another 37gig partition for software and games. I also created two partitions on my second HD a 5gig partition for page files and 72gig partition for files...

The only question I have is about the page files. I changed them to what EricB said for ppl with 2gb of ram or more which was 200mb but it just seems small for the amount of space I just allocated for page filing? Should I increase the page filing to like 4.5gig or just leave it as a min and max of 200mg?

Also, I should not have any paging files on any of my other partitions now correct?

And there is another option for system managed size. Should I select that instead of setting the min and max to 200mb?

that was from an older guide (3-4 years ago). set your paging file to 4-5 gigs on the second partition and set the c drive to no page file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom