New Computer lagging. (Vista?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonzo123

Baseband Member
Hi, My Father just got a new computer for home so he could surf the net and email etc... When I set it up for him I relized it was going quite slow. The specs on the somputer are:

AMD athlon 64 processor 3800+
Memory 512
120g hard drive
Nivida Geforce 6150 SE
&
It came with Windows Vista...

(Yes its not a great comp but **** he doesn't do much with it)

Anyways the first thing that came to mind was windows vista was lagging the crap out of it since the computer isn't all that great, Any ideas? Now I'm not planning on buying more RAM or anything so that's out of the question so I was wondering if there is an easy way to fix it and if not im thinking of just installing XP on it because a new computer shouldn't lag like this its horrible.

Stupid companies put vista on these **** comps I don't know why. I told him I would build him one but he said he didn't want to trouble me so w/e. Any help would be great, Thanks!

Thats about 1/4 of the amount of memory vista needs to run smoothly. Let me guess its a dell?

Yep, you need more memory. That just meets the minimum requirements for Vista Basic...all other versions require a gig. I would install XP if I were you, since you don't want to add more memory. You could also try disabling Aero and see if that helps. Why not just get some value RAM though?...it's pretty cheap.

More RAM would be helpful as well as turning off Indexing and making sure Aero is off.

Thanks for all the help, I just realized that I have some extra RAM laying around so I'm gunna get the rest of the specs from the computer and see what kinda RAM I got.

By the way its a ****** Compac lol

Hey at least compaq is owned by HP now, so at least they arent as horrible as they used to be.

Very true, I have a friend that has a Compaq laptop and it seems to work great. Although all he does is surf the net and watch movies. :)

minimum memory required for Vista is 2GB

Sure does seem like it lol

My parents have a new Dell (Athlon64X2 3800+, 1GB, Vista Home Premium) and it runs OK (Aero and everything) but games lag due to the (stupid) nVidia GeForce 6100LE.

Still, for that, Vista is overkill. I'd revert that PC to XP, it's more than enough for basic Web browsing, e-mail, etc. You might even consider Linux, for a PC newcomer, it's not any harder than Windows to learn if you configure it properly. The advantage of Linux is you don't have to worry about spyware, adware, viruses, or other things that could lead to identity theft or other computer issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom