athlon 64 problems, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
so benchmarking solves complicated problems that i can't solve? i looked it up and that's what i got, aren't you proud of me knuckle!

i have an MSI K8T Neo, i dont know if its locked or not but, i dont see any place in my bios to change it

Have you played with the Core center program? I have that same motherboard and I have found out a couple of things.

1. If you set your memory timings correctly, you can change your system speed to turbo from fast. Auto settings tend to make my system unstable, when I set it to turbo.

2. Don't bother with the Dynamic overclocking in the bios, just leave it at 200Mhz and no overclocking. This might overclock your system even when you are doing regular processing tasks like watching a movie or encoding, when you dodn't really need it to overclock.

3. You can do your overclocking from the Core Center program. I haven't been able to change the multiplier though.

4. You have to download a processor driver from AMD to get your processor to work correctly. Before I installed that processor driver, my processor speed stayed at 2ghz all the time even at idle. With the processer driver installed, it clocks down to 1Ghz during idle and light INternet browsing. But it'll ramp up to 2Ghz when you start doing more.

I'm telling you that 200mhz "FSB" is what it is supposed to be.
The AMD 64's dont' really have a FSB because of the Hypertransport. The bus speed is actually 1600mhz on mine but some of the newer motherboards allow all the way up to the speed of the processor 2.2=2,200mhz bus speed. So don't mess with it, it is fine.

Also, please tell me you got pc3200 and not pc2700.

EDIT: i have almost the same processor and when i benchmark mine i exceed the average for the AMD 64's and mine is at 200FSB.

EDIT AGAIN: yes you can change the multiplier but only below 10

EX 10 9.5 9.0 8.5 8.0 all the way down to 4

how do u change the multiplier at? in the BIOS? i cant find where to. and yes i have PC2700. is that really bad? do u think i should get 3200? i was planning on buying a gig stick sometime in the future

pc2700 is a waste of money

pc3200 could be had for like 10 dollars more (512 sticks)

i beleive you can get it a reputable name brand on newegg for like 80 bucks

why would you want to change the multiplier?

if you are thinking of dropping the multi to like 8 and running like 280 FSB then just stop now. What would be the point? except extra strain on the PCI cards and ram. (assuming you don't put the correct ratio on the ram)

Aggdaddy said:
Have you played with the Core center program? I have that same motherboard and I have found out a couple of things.

1. If you set your memory timings correctly, you can change your system speed to turbo from fast. Auto settings tend to make my system unstable, when I set it to turbo.

2. Don't bother with the Dynamic overclocking in the bios, just leave it at 200Mhz and no overclocking. This might overclock your system even when you are doing regular processing tasks like watching a movie or encoding, when you dodn't really need it to overclock.

3. You can do your overclocking from the Core Center program. I haven't been able to change the multiplier though.

4. You have to download a processor driver from AMD to get your processor to work correctly. Before I installed that processor driver, my processor speed stayed at 2ghz all the time even at idle. With the processer driver installed, it clocks down to 1Ghz during idle and light INternet browsing. But it'll ramp up to 2Ghz when you start doing more.

4. You don't have to have that driver for the processor to work. THat is only if you want the Cool n quiet enabled. I personally dislike Cool n Quiet cuz it makes gaming jerky like no other although it maintains a stable framerate (100+) it makes it unplayable. Cool n quiet is for like surfin the web and shiz.

I guess my reasoning for using it because it lowers my temps. I'm not gaming all the time, so there no reason for my processor to be at full throttle all the time.

When it is at 2000Mhz, my processor temps are in the 65c range. I'm not too comfortable with that.

Without that amd64 driver, the processor never clocks down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom