Novell and Windows Print Spooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similac

Beta member
Operating system is W2k SP4
Netware Client is version 4.91.0.20050216

Does anyone know or heard of a problem with the windows print spooler hanging/crashing with these two configurations?

Thanks!

When does it crash?

when u manually start it does it crash immediately?

Does the print spooler service stop randomly or does it just not start/won't stay started? I have run into several instances of the spooler service not wanting to stay started. Usually a reboot takes care of it. I have had to do a repair install of windows once or twice. We use Novell at work but we run it on XP Pro. Do you have NDPS installed?

It will run fine for a while, but then it will get corruption.

To give you an idea of how we use it:

It prints archives for us on a 24/7 basis and will get through 100 "archives" ( which includes around 12 or so documents) before it crashes out. Crashing out comes in a number of different ways:

The printout will be corrupted in that it is missing data.

The print spooler will hang and has to be restarted through services.msc

The print spooler will hang to the point of having to kill spoolsvc.exe and then started. There are instances where I kill it...start it... and it hangs immediately.

I have explored a number of different angles, but the only variable left to rule out is the print spooler itself.

As far as I know, it is not running on NDPS. Our application runs on this server which is maintained client side, and I am not 100% familiar with Novell. I will gladly check for it if you tell me what to look for.

I have the official Novell Netware 6 textbook somewhere. I'll dig it up and see what I can find in there.

OK, I have the book in front of me. NDPS is essentially a databse of drivers and stuff so that you can add a printer to any client without having to look for or install a driver. You have to set up a Manager and Broker which do this job. (NDPSM.NLM and BROKER.NLM) They can be added at any time to your Netware server. NDPS is not installed by default. Well pretty much nothing is in Novell.
Do you use NetWare Administrator? How about iManager? RConsoleJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom