Graphics card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFB

Baseband Member
I have a Amd Athlon X2 that i bought from Future shop almost 3 years ago, with 1 gb memory, i dont have the full specs cause i am not home.

I have a integrated Graphics card in it, a Ati X300 SE (not good at all)

I wanted to buy a XFX - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS Graphics Card and put it in.

Would it work? would the graphic card go with my comp? and is it worth it? for a comp like that with such a good graphics card. main thing i want to know is, would the graphics card go/fit in my comp and work?

if your motherboard has pci-express x 16, yes then it would work.. depending on your power supply... if its got enough juice

but i suggest you look for the 8800gt.. its a better graphics card, and costs a good amount less.

The 8800GT is better than the 8800GTS, however, I don't think a three-year-old motherboard would have the required PCI Express x16 slot.

It might not even have a video card slot at all, if it used integrated graphics. A computer that old might not be worth the $250 8800GT anyway.

If it does have an AGP slot (the one before PCI Express x16), I recommend the Radeon X1950 GT.

Edit: If it *does* have the PCI Express x16 slot, then I recommend a GeForce 7900 GS. Both cards cost about $120 each, and would be a good card for an old machine.

well its got an athlon x2.. and athlon x2 appeared on socket 939... and 939 had pci-e.. so, it may have a pci-e slot.. but chances are pretty slim

were x2's even made 3 years ago?

your gonna needa tell us your mobo when you get home!

x2's were released early 2005. A decent good video card would be the 2900 GT and the 8800 GT

ummm 2900gt? don't think that exists?? lol the new card is going to be named 3850 and 3870

unless you meant the 2900pro.. that has dropped to the 250 price..

but if you got that computer that long ago.. from a prebuild company.. good luck running that on your psu...

x2's were released early 2005. A decent good video card would be the 2900 GT and the 8800 GT

2900GT: $169.99
8800GT: $249.99 - $289.99

Your choice, both are great deals as far as price/performance is concerned, but the 8800GT is obviously MUCH more powerful.

aetherh4cker, I wouldn't recommend the X1950GT as the 2900GT has pretty much replaced it with much better performance and similar price.

Yeah, there's a pretty good chance that you have a PCI-E slot. Best way to check is to give us the exact model number of your computer. It should be on a sticker on the side or back of the case. The model number on the front panel might just give the number for a series, like with the old Compaqs, the Presario 6000 was the series, whereas the Presario 6300CA was the specific model, so watch out for that.

ummm 2900gt? don't think that exists?? lol the new card is going to be named 3850 and 3870

unless you meant the 2900pro.. that has dropped to the 250 price..

but if you got that computer that long ago.. from a prebuild company.. good luck running that on your psu...

lol, keep up with the news man! :D

---> http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/2900gt-169-99-a-158587/

^ Lol, my bad, so sorry, I was a little too quick there

Yeah, the X1950GT is a good option for AGP, but then again, I'd recommend the original poster just buy a new rig entirely as investing in an AGP card is pointless. I've already made that mistake myself and found myself with a non-transferable card when I was ready to make a modern build. And it's good to transfer an old card in case you're waiting for a new release or for prices to go down on a certain new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom