I'M BACK in business, sort of.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Well, the gaming rig is still dead, but my Media rig is now up and running again.

I suspected that the ATI 9800 All-In-Wonder Pro card was beginning to die, so I had set the rig aside for the longest time, since my gaming rig was (at the time) working. I have recently gotten some free time, and went to fire up the media rig again with a different GPU, to find that the Western Digital drive in it was dead. I put in a 200 Gig Seagate, and an old GPU I had laying around (PCI 4 Meg S3 ViRGE, if that tells you hold old it is, lol) and got Windows XP setup. After examining the 9800 AIW, I found out that the heatsink was just loose. So I re-applied some Artic Silver on it, put the heatsink back on (really tight this time), and bingo, back in business. It is kind of nice too, because this is the first dual monitor setup I have ever had.

Now all I have to do is forage around my box-o-junk and find one of my co-ax splitters. Then I can have the TV, one monitor for TV, and another monitor for browsing. Ahhh, back to multi-tasking, lol. Maybe I will get the gaming rig up and running before it becomes completely obsolete.

you should always double check when it comes to installing hardware, you would of cost a cpu there if you hadn't of noticed,
btw congrats on Media rig

Well, the thing is that it was fine for about a year or so, then just started having issues. I don't really like the mannor in which the heat sink is held on in this application.... since the card hangs upside down, and there is only 2 pins that hold the heatsink on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom