Laptop Shuts OFF during XP Install. BAD HD ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
While "trying" to install XP on a laptop, gets to around the (9) minutes to go point and just SHUTS OFF!

I've tried about 6-7 times to reinstall and everytime it shuts off at the SAME point.

Is this an indicator of a bad sector on the Harddrive ??

Does it mean this HD is shot ??

1. Dumb question. Is it plugged in?

2. Try your install without the battery.

3. Tryout the check disk and new media. Let us know how that goes.

1. Dumb question. Is it plugged in?

2. Try your install without the battery.

3. Tryout the check disk and new media. Let us know how that goes.
Yes, it will only run off the AC adapter. The battery is shot.

I've now tried (3) different HDDs now and still get the SAME result. :(

I've downloaded Ultimate Boot Disk and ran many, many diagnostic tests. All hardware checked out just fine.

I did CPU, RAM burn-in tests, several different HDD scans/tests and ALL check out.

I used different XP CDs as well. These CDs worked fine on other installs.

STILL SHUTS DOWN w/7-9 minutes to go!!

Now what ??????

I've also tried to address any overheating issues using various, creative methods!

I've flipped open the keyboard (to expose the HDD CPU/Fan) and put a small vial of frozen liquid (in a small vial of course!)on TOP of the where the CPU/Fan sits.

I also raised up the back end of the laptop to expose the fan underneath as well. ALL to NO avail!!!!!

STILL shuts off with 7-9 minutes to go !!!!!!

I don't want to trash this laptop! Surely there is a solution!

Where do I go from here ????

I had kind of a similar problem on my old p3 800Mhz computer. For some reason it was set to 400Mhz and xp need more... 600mhz i believe. I set it back to 800mhz and installation went without a hitch.
Check in the bios if the cpu speed is up to par.

I had kind of a similar problem on my old p3 800Mhz computer. For some reason it was set to 400Mhz and xp need more... 600mhz i believe. I set it back to 800mhz and installation went without a hitch.
Check in the bios if the cpu speed is up to par.
Interesting. In one of the tests I did on the CPU, I saw where it was reporting 1/2 of the expected values.

It's a 2.4Ghz CPU running 400Mhz. It was reporting in as 1.2Ghz @ 200Mhz.

Now, is the Bus speed limited (restricted) to the RAM bus speed ? I believe this machine has a 256MB PC2700 (200Mhz) chip in it. I'd have to yank it to be sure.

Could this cause the CPU and system bus run at 200Mhz instead of 400Mhz ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom