vista..

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynxthechosen0

Solid State Member
Im looking to buy a computer but cannot seem to decide what operating system to get. Its either xp home or vista premium. Ive posted a topic similar to this but i want to get more views on vista. Is it worth purchasing now or are there still to many problems with it ? can it run all games that were for xp like sims 2, wow, medieval 2 etc ? Will 2gb ram be enough to run it without a slow decrease in performance. Will the 512mb 8800gt run smoothly on dx10 ? and finally is it easy to connect to a wireless network like windows xp was ?

Vista is fine, it will run all your game excellently if you have an 8800GT and 2gb of RAM...don't go buying an old operating system that is being phased out.

Oh and I would get 64 bit just in case you decide to upgrade to 4gb of memory in the future.

Vista has everything that xp has but more of it. The 8800Gt is more than enough for any game coming out this year. Whatever you do though, DO NOT BUY BASIC. Make sure you get home premium, and i would suggest the 64bit version.

I have vista and all the games I use run fine. You can run programs in compatibility mode as well, if it won't run right.

2 gigs is plenty...Normally vista uses about 40% of 2 gigs for me, and I've never seen it go past 55%-60%. It only gets up around 60% while doing something more intensive, like video encoding or something.

If you build a computer, you'll get both editions of Vista (32 and 64 bit), so you can always change if you decide you want more RAM. I use the 32 bit, because of lack of driver support for 64.

I have vista and all the games I use run fine. You can run programs in compatibility mode as well, if it won't run right.

2 gigs is plenty...Normally vista uses about 40% of 2 gigs for me, and I've never seen it go past 55%-60%. It only gets up around 60% while doing something more intensive, like video encoding or something.

If you build a computer, you'll get both editions of Vista (32 and 64 bit), so you can always change if you decide you want more RAM. I use the 32 bit, because of lack of driver support for 64.

This is only correct if you buy the retail version of Vista, which is roughly 2.5x the cost of an oem version. You can pick up vista home premium 64 for about 110+shipping at newegg or vista home premium 32 from microcenter for 79.99+shipping if you dont plan to ever use more than 2gb of memory.

Oh another thing people seems to forget about. The memory on your video card also counts towards that 3.5ish gb of memory that 32bit OS's can access. So if you plan to go with lots of video memory and 2-3gb of system memory 64bit is the way to go. Right now my system only reads 2.5gb of my system memory due to the 1024mb of video memory from my 2 cards.

which actually there is quite of right now

Well, at the time I built my computer, I was not sure about the 64 bit drivers. So I just went with 32, seeing as how it was my first build, I didn't want to have to deal with any problems.

But if there is support now, then go for it.

For your usage, I would actually recommend Vista. The games you are looking at aren't too demanding and if you are looking for a home OS, you probably aren't a super power user. Heavy gamers and power users typically see the greatest problems with Vista at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom