Upgrade for New Highend Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOGA

Daemon Poster
I just got Call of Duty 4 (5 starts btw highly recommended for FPS fans) and I'm getting about 12-30 fps with my current setting and hardware; nothing close to where I want it to be.

Because I can expect the same from up and coming games I thought I may want too look at my upgrade options.

I don't think its my GFX thats holding me back but rather my processor.

Current Rig

- Asus deluxe AM2
- AMD x2 4600+ AM2
- 2 gig muskin memory
- 7900gtx 512 mb

My bugit is kinda tight so I don't want to switch over to Intel and I'm looking forward to AMD's new stuff.

How much of a performance increase would I see if I upgraded to something like this.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

Or any other suggestions you can think of I'm up for.

Thanks

You could always pick up the amd 5000 black edition. I hear it overclocks like a champ and doesnt cost that much. Your video card is probably also part of the problem. A new CPU and an 8800GT will run you somewhere around 350-400 bucks and should keep you going for at least another year. You could always just get the new card and hold out for a phenom.

What I'm afraid of is spending money if its not worth it. Upgrading and the price isn't so much of a problem and upgrading for no reason.

I'm not really into OCing to much unless the time I put into it and risk I take really gets me a performance boost.

If its my video card I can switch out my 7900GTX for my 8800gtx in my workstation PC. My workstation can't have games because I use it for work.

I really want to know what type of a performance boost I can get for the money and if its worth it.

Well an 8800 GT (no x) will blow away your old 7900gtx and costs around 270 right now, just came out the 29th so prices are still up in the air. And the new phenom x4 which should work on your current board are scheduled to come out next week with the highest end costing around 300 or so. Overclocking definately makes a difference. For example, i have my quadcore overclocked 50% and get nearly the same amount of performance gain.

Wow has time really gone by that fast? Te phenom is almost out. I'm glade I came here before I bought.

I know about OCing, I had an old Pentium 4 2.4ghz up to 3.2ghz 100% stable.
It just took me a while, so much time that if I spent it working I could have just bought a better proc.

As for my video card, I think I'm just going to do the switch between PCs. My work station should do fine because all it needs to do right now is high def playback.

Question is, will that card run on my current PSU :O

Does anyone know anything about the phenom? like performance or good articles? Google isn't as promising as it has been.

Switching video cards will make a huge difference and the 8800gtx is the second best card around. What kind of psu do you have?

If you only overclock a little it doesn't take much time at all. Overclocking isn't as risky as it used to be so you can just make little jumps test for a little while and when temps start getting close to max, stop overclocking and test for 8 hours or so. Not counting the 8 hour test it only took me about 1/2 hour to get my cpu from 2.0 to 2.8ghz. I ended up spending a bunch more time trying to get more but you can just skip that part.

yeah just switch out those video cards. the video should help alot and you could OC that x2 for now. and then you can decide what would be the better cpu upgrade for you and you could get a phenom in a few weeks or like suggested earlier you could get the 5000+ black edition and OC.

Ill look into OCing

I have a 500 watt PSU and I'm running a raptor and a 520gb HD in there too.

So I don't think I'm going to have much luck.

How many amps are your 12v rails? (you might have more than one) it would say 12v - xx or it could say 12v1 - xx 12v2 - xx with the xx being a number.

And what kind of psu is it.

yeah maybe not, but do you know what psu you have?

correct me if im wrong anyone (i have been a little out of the loop lately), but 450W should be plenty power to OC the cpu and have a gtx. so long you have enough amps on the 12v rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom