How to Allocate System resources quad core processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creedance

Beta member
Ok I have tried everything but I just can't figure this out.

I have an Intel Xeon Dual Core Quad Core server running server 2003. I have a program called Camtasia and others that I use for video. Whenever I process the files it only utilizes 24% of my processing power. Another program I use is Sorenson Squeeze and while that is processing it only uses 2% CPU power. <--- this program takes upwards of 4 hours to process my videos. I really want to know if there is some kind of program that I can allocate my processing power to take advantage of certain programs. 4 hours could turn into 10 minutes if I can allocate these stupid processors.

I tried using Windows System Resource Manager but for some reason that doesn't work either.

Can anybody give me some advice as to what software will allow me to dedicate my power.

Thanks guys,

Creed

It sounds like something else has higher priority in the process manager. You can manually edit the priorities....

press ctrl alt delete and go to the task manager, try setting the program you want the CPU to work for to high priority.

Just because you have multiple cores doesnt mean that all programs are going to use those cores. LOTS and i do mean lots of programs are single threaded meaning that you could have 100 cores and it wont speed anything up. Also, if one core is using 25% and the other is using 2% forcing them both to use 27/2= 14% wouldnt speed anything up. Programs are just now getting around to actually being multithreaded to take advantage of extra cores.

Ya but if it was, then he would have one core pegged out at 100% rather than one core at 25% and the other at 2%. Obviously the program is bottlenecked somewhere else.

As an example, when i start world of warcraft, the affinity is always set to core 0 and 1, and it pegs out core 0 usually, but if i go and set the affinity to all 4 cores, core 0 drops down to about 50% and the other 3 cores come up.

is um............ 3dmark use all cores? Like when it does the cpu test. It seems like it does because all my cpu goes to 100% when I run 3d mark and during its cpu test.

I would assume so. I just upped mine to 3.8ghz and it crashed in 3dmark06 when it got to the cpu test so its a good bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom