Help building a small form factor computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedka

Solid State Member
I'm thinking of trying to build a small size computer. I was looking at the shuttle case, but it's too square. Is there a case that is similar to the shuttle but slimmer? I want to make this computer easily portable.
Any information I need to know about building one? I know I can't use the standard size motherboard.
This computer is mainly going to be used for internet access, Instant messaging, video conference and some gaming. The gaming won't be as graphic intensive as Crysis :) but there will be fast 3D gaming like Go Cart and RPGs.

Thanks.

The smallest you would be able to go would be a micro ATX case, and still let you use standard size parts. There are smaller cases, but then you would limit yourself to certain parts that are made for them.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion Micro ATX 541 RC-541-SKR1 Black Aluminumm bezel, SECC chassis MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail

something like this would allow for plenty of airflow and still be kinda small, while still being able to upgrade later on without much worry. And since it has a decent PSU included, you could throw in a 7600GT and be able to run most games with it.

A shuttle pc is as good as it's going to get. It's a barebone so you'll just need to add memory, cpu, hd, optical drives. I'm sure you knew this.
Smaller pc's are available but they're usually good for basic stuff such as browsing net, email, music and watching movies. Games...nope.
Buy.com - AOpen miniPC Duo MP945-D Barebone System - Intel 945GM - Socket 479 - Core 2 Duo Dual Core, Core Duo Dual Core, Core Solo, Celeron M - 667MHz, 533MHz Bus Speed - 4GB Memory Support - Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) - Gigabit Ethernet - Small Fo

Whoa, those shuttle computers look freaking awesome.

Still think I'd rather have just a laptop... but still... that's pretty cool.

The smallest you would be able to go would be a micro ATX case, and still let you use standard size parts. There are smaller cases, but then you would limit yourself to certain parts that are made for them.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion Micro ATX 541 RC-541-SKR1 Black Aluminumm bezel, SECC chassis MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail

something like this would allow for plenty of airflow and still be kinda small, while still being able to upgrade later on without much worry. And since it has a decent PSU included, you could throw in a 7600GT and be able to run most games with it.

limit parts :s how do you mean you can get a micro-itx motherboard with Q6600 and 8800 ultra the cheer size of the gfx card would rather defeat the object however it is still a possibility

Key questions:
How much do you want to spend?
How small do you want? You can build a computer the size of an old school gameboy to the size of an entire building dimensions are very adaptable
Main function? general use
Secondary function? low-end to moderate gaming
Aesthetic considerations?

limit parts :s how do you mean you can get a micro-itx motherboard with Q6600 and 8800 ultra the cheer size of the gfx card would rather defeat the object however it is still a possibility

Key questions:
How small do you want? You can build a computer the size of an old school gameboy to the size of an entire building dimensions are very adaptable

You'd be able to fit a 8800GTS for sure, a lot of people who bought it could fit it. I dunno how much bigger the GTX is. As for CPU, why wouldn't a Q6600 fit on a matx? i was thinking of a 690G board with a A64x2 with a 6000+ anyway.

Key questions:

I'm trying to spend less as possible. Prob. around $500-$600 range.
Size: around the size of the shuttle SD01XD (she wants it to be portable, so it can't be very heavy).
Main function will be internet, chatting, web conference.
Secondary function will be downloading and gaming, low-end to mid range.
Aesthetic...will this is being built for my girlfriend... :)

She mainly uses the Chinese chat program QQ to chat with her friends in China and downloading Chinese shows. The program QQ also has many entertaining options, like video conference and gaming (3d Go Kart, 3d Rollerblade, pets, etc..) Nothing on the high end of gaming.
Tencent QQ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's either building a small one or buying one of those 10-12" laptops, which is overprice in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom