Minor overclocking question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know when i run my quad at stock speeds i can undervolt it pretty easily. Also if you havent already, make sure you are setting the voltage manually. When left on auto the board always uses too much voltage so you will end up running hotter than you would with manual voltage. Try setting it to 9x300 and setting the CPU voltage to 1.2V. Then keep an eye on your temps and stability. Adjust as needed.

I know when i run my quad at stock speeds i can undervolt it pretty easily. Also if you havent already, make sure you are setting the voltage manually. When left on auto the board always uses too much voltage so you will end up running hotter than you would with manual voltage. Try setting it to 9x300 and setting the CPU voltage to 1.2V. Then keep an eye on your temps and stability. Adjust as needed.

Hmmm weird I was always under the impression that you needed more vcore ( aka voltage? ) to overclock but you guys are telling me the boards default setting gives it too much voltage and I can actually lower the voltage and still raise the fsb? If I raise the fsb and theres not enough voltage what are the side effects? Isn't it safer for me to just raise the fsb and keep it at stock voltage.

Ive very hesitant to touch the vcore because I don't know what its currently set at since the p35 ds3r mobo doesnt report it it just says automatic. CPU Z reports it as constantly changing from like 1.152 v to 1.2 v so I don't know how accurate that is...

Hmmm weird I was always under the impression that you needed more vcore ( aka voltage? ) to overclock but you guys are telling me the boards default setting gives it too much voltage and I can actually lower the voltage and still raise the fsb? If I raise the fsb and theres not enough voltage what are the side effects? Isn't it safer for me to just raise the fsb and keep it at stock voltage.

Ive very hesitant to touch the vcore because I don't know what its currently set at since the p35 ds3r mobo doesnt report it it just says automatic. CPU Z reports it as constantly changing from like 1.152 v to 1.2 v so I don't know how accurate that is...

Well to overclock to higher clocks you do need to pump more VCore but not that much i think its on all C2D and Quads. Raise the FSB by 10-20mhz id say and see how stable it is. And CPU-Z for a lot of people is incorrect , go to the BIOS and check what voltage its giving the CPU or check online for Q6600 stock voltage , hope that helps.

When using "auto" settings for voltage in the bios, the board will generally give more voltage than is actually needed. Stock voltage for a q6600 is 1.2v if i recall correctly and will usually allow you to get up to around 3.15ghz before you need to raise the voltage. This will still cause your temps to go up significantly if you are using stock cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom