Can't run .msi files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greencow_555

Baseband Member
Hi,

I have downloaded a program for which the setup seems to be some .msi filetype. I hadn't heard of it before but apparently its a valid installer file.

Unable to run it I went hunting and downloaded the latest windows installer program... no avail. The program is still unrecognised. I can't seem to find anything about the problem anywhere else on the web, and everyone else seems to be able to run them fine. I am on XP SP2..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

GK

You wont ever be able to run it. Those file types are Vista only. Since you are in XP you will never be able to run .msi files. They do not pertain to you.

Msi's are microsoft installers and they should run on xp fine, try updating windows installer on your machine.

Sorry that is right. I was thinking .msu files which are Vista only. My bad.

Well blasted M$ making them so close. .msi/.msu just 1 letter different yet 1 will run on Windows XP 1 wont. <.<

I just got back to XP myself and tested it.

Yeah, MSI's are installation files that will work on XP. I've used them before. If you are already running SP2 and you have the latest Windows Installer software installed, I don't know what to tell you. Double check that you have the latest Windows Installer software. Also, maybe it is a corrupt file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom