Am I weird or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J9Darkwing

Baseband Member
Salute and howdy!
I'm on of those who likes to have a smooth running system so I generally reinstall my OS every six months or so. In reality it's more like every four months. I'm not what you'd call your normal user. I install this and that and uninstall same said this and that and tweak here and tweak there and it's not uncommon for my OS to get pretty frazzled and rather than sifting through for hours trying to undo all the damage I've done, and I'm rarely successful, it's easier for me to take an hour and start from scratch.
The problem I'm having is that often is the case where when I reinstall I have a hard time re-activating Windows.

Now as I prepare to go shell out another c-note to pick up Vista 64 for my new machine I'm worried that I'll have the same problem only worse since V64 is a new ballgame for me and I'm more likely to screw it up with all my tweaking. (Not tweaking my machine is not an option for me. I'm a habitual tweaker.)

Any tips on avoiding this problem in the future? I'm not trying to screw MS out of their money. The OS I'm referring to is always bought and paid for and always on a single machine. Heck, I bought 4 diff OSs for my last rig. XP home $130, XP pro $200, Vista 32bit $230, and Vista 64 bit upgrade disk $10 so trust me when I say MS is getting their fair share of cash from me.

And someone please tell me I'm not the only one who likes to do a fresh install every 4-6 months.

I backup all my software and media, etc and have got reinstalling down to an art. It's activation that's vexing me. You have activation problems?

you need to learn how to work a virtual machine like vmware and use restore software like drive image. you install xp and all of it's drivers then activate. then make a backup to another partition. you can restore this forever with out reactivating

I have Vista 64 and I just reloaded from an image back up I saved. I use the one included in vista and it works great! I keep all of my OS and other software on one drive and all the rest including the image on another.

I didn't realize Vista came with an image backup function. I'll have to look into it when I get home from work.

you need to learn how to work a virtual machine like vmware and use restore software like drive image. you install xp and all of it's drivers then activate. then make a backup to another partition. you can restore this forever with out reactivating

I was thinking the exact same thing.

That and learn how to stop screwing your machine up. I do all my necessary tweaks, then stop. I never need to reinstall or restore from a backup or anything. Do the tweaks that you actually need, then find a different hobby. There are many other things to do on a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom