Linux, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApolloIV

In Runtime
Hey guys, I recently got a new HP laptop with Vista Hom Premium, so far Vista isn't to bad. The question I have is would it be worth having a dual boot of Vista Linux? I've messed with a little bit of ubuntu on my desktop, just to try it out, but i wouldn't mind getting into using it. I know it has a big learning curve so thats i was curious if it is even worth putting in the time and HD space. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I really like Ubuntu. I say that if your not gaming, go Linux. The only two redeeming factors about windows is that its easier for n00bs and its also got much better game support.

it is entirley up to you my freind, linux suits some vista suits others, a good thing about linux is that it can boost your coding knowledge ;)

Well I'm going to give it a try, I have the space so why not. I'll probably do a dual boot so I can game on Vista. Thanks for the feed back guys.

I would say it is. I just bot a new hp dv6500, vista. I went to linux out of need, after I erased windows. (HAHA I know.) I loved it. Its the little things, better wifi sencing, easer file reading, FREE, simple IMs.
Most of the distos I tryed would not work right. I finally found open suse 10.3 (10.2 did not work).

I run Ubuntu on everything I can. It dual-boots dead simple with other OS'es, and it is a very good OS. Linux can't run Windows apps (well, you can try Wine, but it doesn't always work), but there are plenty of compatible and/or better apps for Linux. Most importantly, it's all free. Ubuntu works well on both desktop PC's and laptop PC's, so you shouldn't have a problem installing on your laptop. I recommend Ubuntu 7.10 because it's a great distro with easy setup and many features.

*hijack*

Sorry about this, but is there anything out there that can help you get into linux? I always want to know more about computers and as it stands everything I know is windows based. So something to kick start me into a nix would be awesome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom