Increase partition size without losing data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I got Partition Magic installed on my current Windows and I have my bootable CD ready to install the 2nd Windows but I am confused as to what to do.

I just go into PM and right click the C partition, select resize, and that's it? And then I can create a second partition, turn off computer, boot from CD and install my 2nd Windows?

make a another partition 1st on the 320 gig hit apply. move your data from the 60 gig to there. delete the 60 gig. resize the 20 to 80 gig. hit apply

I successfully partitioned the 320gig, how should I move the data to it? Just copy and paste from within windows, or is there a way using partition magic or something?

I successfully partitioned the 320gig, how should I move the data to it? Just copy and paste from within windows

or

Go to start right click my documents, click properties (you can only do it here) and select move. Move it to you second partition.

But wouldn't that not transfer over my programs and stuff? I'm trying to keep this Windows install up and running like it is now, but then install Windows a second time and start installing my drivers and programs but still have this current one to fall back on.

ok, is there a way to like copy the entire partition on my 80gig drive and move it to my 320gig drive, maintaining windows? or would that just screw up everything?

edit: let me get my thoughts straight here

in the end i want it to look like this:
80 gig -> 35gig new windows, 25gig games, the rest would be games OR it could be my old windows partition
320 gig -> 20gig old windows and 300gig music/movies, OR 320 gig music/movies

Alright so does this look good?

80vnbbo.jpg

XP 1 is a blank partition I made. I can always change the label and drive letters later.

8az2xlc.jpg

The 1024 cylinder can be ignored since I will delete the C partition, as it will be copied to my other drive, and I will put the new partition at the start of the disk so it will pass the boundary but still be bootable just like my current C partition.

Then I will just repeat the creating and formatting partitions until I get it like this:

80 gig -> 35gig new windows, 25gig games, rest documents
320 gig -> 20gig old windows and 300gig music/movies

Later I will probably delete the old windows and make the 300 gig partition the full size of the disk. All partitions will be NTFS. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom