E6600 Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaundale

Baseband Member
Hi,
Have,
ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA PT880 with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.
Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR2 PC2-5300 CL=5 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR2-667 1.8V
Hiper 530W Black Type M PSU - ATX v2.2, Silent/Temp Control, Active PFC, SLI/Crossfire Certified
Sapphire HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR4 Dual DVI-I TVO PCI-E Graphics Card
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler

Right, if I run the BIOS as standard the CPU shows up as a 2.3Ghz. the bus speed(I think it's bus speed) is set to 266 in BIOS but after we get into Win XP I see I only have the speed at 255. Now If I go into the BIOS and change CPU Advanced settings "OverClock Mode" to CPU,PCIE ASYNC and change CPU bus speed to 266 then everythings fine and I have a 2.4Ghz CPU.

First, I don't understand WHY I need to do this to have the CPU at the speed it says from the box.
Second, If I change the speed to 277 or 288 2.5Ghz / 2.6Ghz repectivly sometimes the pc runs fine and other times it just keeps rebooting. I find this frustrating as people say that they can run the E6600 upto 3.0Ghz without problems. So, WHY won't mine run at box speed from the go and WHY do I have intermitant problems running well below other peoples settings and NOT that high?

Any help would be very appriciated,
Shaun.

also,
is it better to use:
CPU,PCIE SYNC or
CPU,PCIE ASYNC?
the only difference I can see is that with async you can change all sppeds but sync only allows you to change CPU & PCI speeds. All I really want to do is get a stable 2.6Ghz CPU!!!

Thanks,
Shaun.

Set it to Manual clock if there is such an option. If the problems continue I suggest A BIOS Flash. May give more control/options.

And why do you want to get such a small overclock? Some of the better models of your CPU can clock up to 3.4-3.6 Ghz without problems..

Ste,
Small Steps. If I could get 2.6Ghz Stable then i ideally want 3.0Ghz and be happy with that but BUS max on Mobo is 350 so that would only give me 3.15Ghz any way.

Like I said i have the option of:
Auto - where the PC should boot with a 266/2.4Ghz CPU
Manual CPU,PCIE ASYNC - can change all settings, CPU,PCIE & PCI
Manual CPU,PCIE SYNC - Can change CPU & PCI clocks.

I've just got the Freezer Pro 7 CPU Cooler just in case it was a temp issue but it normally ran 28-30'c at manual 267 speed. I now get 17-19'c when at manual 267 and when it does run at 288 I get 27-29'c. I don't think this is an issue.

The BIOS has been updated to the 2.10 version due to problems with the ATI 2XXX cards. ATI is 7.10 and downloaded all drivers from ASROCK with regards HDD/LAN etc.

Cannot understand it, why the inetrmitant problems?

Thanks,
Shaun.

A small step for the E6600 is from stock to 3 Ghz... No, really, thats where the E6600 Starts, For a "small Step."

Keep the setting on manual CPU, manual or CPU, which ever it says
Though!, IM not sure, refer to the manual for definitions of those options, or goto asrock homepage and search for a PDF Manual.

now getting the big blue screen that says that the windows has shut down to protect the pc, the last file is an ati file, why would i have a problem with gcard while overclocking cpu and keeping the bus speed of pcie as the same. would jumping the cpu mean i need to increase the pcie clock??? very intermitant though and have now got it running a bus speed of 288 reasonably ok, 4/10 attempts fail to start or crash to blue screen.

Right the file that comes up on blue screen is :
ATI2DVAG

With regards to CMOS, haven't a clue what you want regards this?
regards temps:
Settings CPU bus speed:
266 - Temp 24-26'c after running GTR2 for 3Hrs and SWAT4 for 2hrs.
288 - Temp 30-32'c again after a couple hrs on GTR2.
300 - What boot????

ATI Sapphire 2600XT set at default 800/1100mhz clock mem speeds. temp 47'c

CPU - 288
PCIE - 100
PCI - 33.33
Voltage of CPU at 1.35
Have the option of High Med Low Norm Voltage for IDE/PCI & PCIE, unsure what voltage I'd get with regards these settings though.

Hope this helps?

MCH Voltage (North Bridge)?
FSB Voltage ?
RAM Voltage?
You have major problems if you can't get a stable clock of at least 2.7 Ghz on stock settings..

Haven't got those at all, and would the problem be Hardware,software? I've tried to run ATI Tools and it just hangs and the same with 3Dmark 05/06. With these problems and PC not stable could it point to software?

I have also been looking at getting a new Mobo but with Xmas coming might have to wait a bit, but if it's a software issue then I might not need a new Mobo to get a 3ghz stable e6600?

Regards,
Shaun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom