Laptop Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indobos

In Runtime
Okay I just got a new mobo for my buddies Toshiba Laptop. I replaced it but now the laptop wont come out of the Windows bootup screen. I shut the Laptop down and I can restart it in Safe mode with no problems. So i reinstalled the recovery disk and it still appears to lock up on me in normal boot. Any suggestions?

Okay so I went in and now the windows safe mode wont work. Says not all the components were installed. I am guessing since my buddy tossed this laptop that he may have damaged the optics on the Cd drive. Since it is having an issue loading. Does this sound remotely possible? How can I bypass this and reinstall the recovery disk from another drive? Can I use my desktop CD drive with maybe an enclosure and do this USB. Or will this not work due to the fact that the usb wont come up till windows is online. Let me know your thought on this please. Thanks.

If your trying to access an external CD-Rom drive, go ahead and make sure the computer is going to boot from the drive in the BIOS boot order. I noticed that you spoke specifically on the repair CD, did you do a clean reformat of the hard drive or plug everything in and boot the computer without updating the bios/drivers exactly. You can run into problems if your replacing something some of the time, but I've had issues from a virus that usually locks the start screen.

I would suggest a complete system reformat, check toshiba's website for any available drivers after the reformat. optical drive problems could be that the disk drive isn't reading completely or the the optical lense either scratched/knocked out of place or a piece to it is broken. Unfortunately, these problems wouldn't effect the windows system so I would look elsewhere to fixing your problem such as booting the operating system disc and then repair the partition.

Thanks for the reply. Luckily I have another Toshiba that I am working on that I can swap out DVD drive's. Yeah I was in the midst of doing the recovery disk and thats when I started running into that error. Hope the new dcd drive makes a difference. Sounds that way since the new dvd drive isn't making alot of noise when it first starts to run. Wish me luck.

Okay back to this. Want to make sure I am troubleshooting this correct. So I replaced the DVD drive and the drive is alot quiter. But I am still having an error. It says i am missing components. So I am guessing that the hard drive is bad. Does this sound about right? Just to review. I Swapped out a mobo on my buddies lappy. When I finished this I was able to only run windows in safe mode. Any other time it would just come up to the windows loading screen and stay there. I reinstalled windows and now I can no longer get windows to come up it says I am missing a components. I originally thought it was the DVD drive when I tried to load the OS but now I can't even get windows up in safe mode. I am assuming in the drop, the hard drive took a hit and will not allow me to write to certain portions of the drive. Does this make any sense? Does this sound like a possibility? I am trying to fix this thing and I am trying not to get my buddy to put too much cash into a dead unit. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like they may have shipped a slightly different motherboard, or it may not have everything that the repair cd is trying to install or something along those lines. Are you 100% sure that it is the exact same motherboard? If it isn't the exact same then that may be the root of your problems. Try installing a copy of xp from a normal xp pro cd and don't activate it, just do it to test it. If it works then it is something along the lines of either, motherboard is a slightly upgraded one, or the recovery CD is toast.

i agree with charles on this one. if there is anything missing on the disk, your kinda out of luck. Check the specs on the motherboard that was sent to you and compare it to the model that was originally in the laptop. i've done the same instance of using an xp disc just to make sure the pc was running, unfortunately the womans modem problem got in the way, saying it was there then it wasn't.

What do i do if I have an upgraded motherboard? Am I SOL? Or is their a way to just install a new copy of XP?

Here's what I think happened (assuming there are no other hardware problems with your friends laptop)...

You replaced a motherboard with one that was not exactly the same as the last. When Windows booted, it probably froze on you because it was trying to load drivers for something on your motherboard that changed when you installed the new motherboard (perhaps a slightly different chipset, perhaps graphics, could be anything).

Now that you reinstalled Windows, you get an error.

What you should do is write down this exact error, and then post it here. I have seen errors that say something like, "missing component somefilename.ext missing or not correctly registered". If that's the case, the problem might be easy to fix. But it's hard to diagnose without the exact error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom