Q6600 Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
So I just got my new system built (sans video card because EVGA is horribly slow at shipping) and I have been overclocking.

The system is:

Q6600 with a Tuniq Tower120 cooloer
p5k-deluxe
4x1 gb crucial ballistix
and a piece of crap pci video card

I've gotten stable for 2hrs in prime95 with settings of:

400x9
vcore at 1.50 in bios but it droops all the way down to 1.39 under load
CPU PLL at 1.7v
NB @ 1.60v
FSB Termination Voltage at 1.25v

I'm running up to 64C while under prime95 on the CPU. These temps were measured using Asus' PC Probe II.

Using Coretemp (which I've given up on because it causes crashes) I read on average 2-8C higher meaning I could be running up to 72*C.

My question is, is that bad? Would more case flow be beneficial(currently have 3x120fans)? Will my 8800GT cause my processor to run hotter?(if I ever get it) and finally, is 1.5v drooping to 1.39v too much for the Q?

It sounds like your CPU is running too hot for that 3.6 GHz overclock. What cooler are you using? I would suggest stepping it down to maybe 3.2 and then testing to see if it still turns down the voltage. Sometimes if the CPU goes over Intel's recommended threshold of 71*C, it will turn down the voltage whether u have EIST turned on or off. Since you said you were getting temps of 72*C, it sounds to me liek this is the problem. you definitely need to turn it down to around 360x9 and that will help to alleviate the problem. what stepping is the proc? B3 or G0?

It's about 22C in my house.

TAT shows my temps at 70ish C while 100% load in prime95 while asus Probe shows my temps at 58C...12C difference seems quite large to me.

thats a LOT of voltage for teh q6600. Do you -really- need to be orthos/prime stable? I have been running my q6600 at 1.35V and its rock solid for everything but orthos and my temps never go over 60C.

^^depends on who you ask^^
some will say that if it doesnt perform stable during ANY test....its not stable.
orthos is a nut-cracker for overclocks, tho.

Ya i consider stable the ability to play all of my games without crashing. I see no reason to push a buttload of voltage through my CPU just to pass some silly test and bring up my temps 10-15C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom