just dont get it..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentilla

Beta member
the other day someone brought a pc to me because the monitor wasnt receiving a signal from the pc... after all the usual checks (different cables, monitor, tower unit etc...) i realised it must be something more serious. i spoke to an i.t manager who said when this happens, after the usual checks you should always reapply the thermal paste. with no where left to go i did and it now works fine! glad it works but now i'm confused... for starters, the fans still worked even though the cpu didnt, if so, why didnt the monitor still receive a signal? also, when the cpu isnt working most bios will sound the usual beeps (five on most)... why didnt it? finally, the cpu could never get that hot in such a short space of time to shut itself down, can some cpu's detect a lack of thermal paste?

any suggestions on this would be appreciated....

The problem there sounds more like something simply needed to be unplugged and plugged back in like the 12v cpu feed. Once you unplugged everything to reapply thermal paste you also had to unplug that and other things and then pug them back in.

A loose contect in one of the power connectors like the 12v cpu feed will stall a system on the spot. There was no audio alert since there was no problem with the cpu itself. And no cpu don't have the ability to know how much thermal paste you use. You find that out when a cpu cooks from high temps if too little or too much is applied!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom