OOPS...Thermal Paste in the Chipset!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imconfused

Baseband Member
i was removing the processor from my mobo last night and i guess there was excess thermal paste that got onto the clasp for the chipset and it shut. when i looked at the chipset i noticed there were specs of thermal paste between the connections in the chipset...what should i do? will it be ok when i turn it on again? should i try to clean it out? i thought maybe i should attempt to get it out last night so i used a straight razor to try and scrape some of it up but i stopped after a short while because i wanted some opinions before i continued. what should i do?

Thermal paste is "supposedly" non conductive. Just use a cotton swab and some alcohol, get as much as you can out. Might even try using a toothpick to scoop whatever else you can get.

good idea, thanks so much, i can't believe i didn't think of a toothpick earlier. one of those really simple things i guess that u should pass by looking for a big solution.

thermal paste isnt cunductive *well the new thermal paste like AS5, OCZ, etc* the old white stuff is conductive and may cause a short

Let the new stuff harden and I bet it is a bit conductive. Anyways, use medical grade alcohol, the stuff with a blue label has impurities in it. But that is just a personal preference. Medical grade is no more expensive than the normal kind. Just may be a bit harder to find it in higher concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom